Raleigh Robin Hood sports 3 speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jamieyorky

Veteran
So....
About 3 and a half years ago i was working for a cycle shop and we used to sell the bikes people had donated to us. One day i went to collect a lady's Raleigh town bike off a elderly gentleman and noticed this bike in the corner of his garage, loving my vintage bikes we got talking and he explained it was a Raleigh Robin Hood Sport's, he had bought the bike on the 1st september 1951 and had loved it since.

Anyway after a chat about the bike i said if he ever wanted to sell the bike to let me know and gave my name and address.

Anyway this afternoon i had a knock at the door and it was the same man !

Saying he was turning 90 this weekend he had decided to give up cycling and asked if i was intrested in the bike..... Of course i said YES !
Asking what he wanted for it he said give me my money back what i paid in 1951 just £15. I couldnt do that so have paid a little more for it.

So after him taking a photo of me and the bike on his camera hear is the bike in my garden.

The bike is rideable and rides lovely but do i restore it back to new or keep it and ride it as it is ????
DSC_0476.JPG
DSC_0477.JPG
DSC_0478.JPG
DSC_0480.JPG
DSC_0481.JPG

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
That is such a cool bike!

I was deeply impressed that a 90 year old had a child seat on his bike. What a bloke I thought. Then I realised it was a slide behind the bike!

Still a wonderful bike though.

Drago

Legendary Member
Id restore it myself, but its your bike so you do what makes you happy. Its certainly an interesting and lovely old thing.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I'd clean it up and then keep it as it is. You can remove rust dabbing on some Diet Coke (weak phosphoric acid) then rubbing it with a piece of crumpled up aluminium foil. Having said that the stem looks like its been painted with red Hammerite so it's probably really rusty underneath.

OP
OP
Jamieyorky

Jamieyorky

Veteran
Thanks all, the bike is curently in garage with the chain off and soaking in some de greaser, ive been lightly going over the frame with wire wool and gt85 just trying to get rid of 65 years of dried on oil and dirt, the headbadge has come up a treat !

.....when I built my mk2 trike, I installed a 3-speed SA hub, which came with a twist-shifter :sad:. Since replaced it with a SA trigger shifter, and what a brilliant piece of kit I must say. The merest flick and it changes effortlessly into gear, a pleasure to use.

The one in your photos looks almost exactly the same (ignoring the patina) and is a good example of 'if it ain't broke - don't fix it'....a real gem of engineering.

Also recently added a SA 3-speed to my MTB, so will have to get another trigger shifter for that, the twisty just doesn't compare.........:bicycle:

Top Bottom