Raleigh to relaunch The Chopper ....Again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

"They literally feel exactly the same, it's pretty mad," he said. "I was hoping they would be a little bit lighter but they're not - they are just as heavy."

They have done very well to make it up to 18kg. It must be hard to find such shoot quality steel! Also no wonder prices for originals are high i people like that chap are hoarding 70 of them!

Joking aside its an iconic design, and not a bad price for a limited production run. They will sell well on nostalgia value alone. You wouldn't want to ride them long distance, although some people do.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
"They literally feel exactly the same, it's pretty mad," he said. "I was hoping they would be a little bit lighter but they're not - they are just as heavy."

They have done very well to make it up to 18kg. It must be hard to find such shoot quality steel! Also no wonder prices for originals are high i people like that chap are hoarding 70 of them!

Joking aside its an iconic design, and not a bad price for a limited production run. They will sell well on nostalgia value alone. You wouldn't want to ride them long distance, although some people do.
I would postulate that Mr Potter is single :laugh:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I had a Grifter, worlds heaviest BMX bike

have you seen the prices?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26614065...HQw_5aGRFG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

no fool, like an old fool!

I had a 2nd hand Grifter for my 10th birthday. Absolutely loved it. I didn't notice it being particualrly heavy but I suppose it must have been. Looks much better than the Grifter IMO but I never had a go on one of those. 900 quid though; I can only see this appealing to collectors who are hoping it might be worth a lot in 40 years time

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The trouble with "limited editions" is that they can make more. Looks at the Renault Clio Williams, or the Hornby platty joobs loco in purple (1,500 suddely became 2,500 when they sold out).

Although not my actual bike, this is exactly how I remember the one I had as a 10 year old. Was the second kid in our road to have one.

Raleigh Chopper.jpg

Dadam

I just realised mine might actually still exist, if there's anything left, in my Mum's shed. She's not been in it since my Dad passed 20 years ago. I'd assumed most of it would have rusted away and then been thrown out but she says she hasn't got rid of anything and she doesn't think Dad would have. He was the sort to keep stuff that might one day be repairable. If it's still more or less in one piece, now would be a good time to sell it as a project. People do restoration jobs of the most incredible pieces of rust these days.

I just realised mine might actually still exist, if there's anything left, in my Mum's shed. She's not been in it since my Dad passed 20 years ago. I'd assumed most of it would have rusted away and then been thrown out but she says she hasn't got rid of anything and she doesn't think Dad would have. He was the sort to keep stuff that might one day be repairable. If it's still more or less in one piece, now would be a good time to sell it as a project. People do restoration jobs of the most incredible pieces of rust these days.

Take a picture when you find it and post it - interesting to see how it looks!

Dadam

Probably a pile of rust with blue paint flakes and a couple of perished tyres

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
"Company who owns Raleigh name pimping out another cheapo copy of old model to exploit the nostalgia of those with lots of disposible income, before they're too old / decrepit to be interested or able to buy"

FTFY :smile:

Think I might have already told this one here, but anyways. Back in the day me and a mate were doing up bikes with cow horn bars and other goodies, and he fancied the idea of putting real cow horns on his bike. So, one evening we went down to the abattoirs to see what was available, and searched along a row of skips to see which one had the cow heads in. By the time he spotted the desired parts, we were all but throwing up after peering into skips of tripe and offal and allsorts, so beat a hasty retreat. One of many daft things we did back then :rolleyes:

Top Bottom