Rant - I want to Cycle into London but the Mrs wont let me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't blame her, frankly cycling in from our neck of the woods can be terrifying when the traffic is bad during term time. Both drivers and impatient MGIF cyclists! I certainly wouldn't want to do it on a cold, dark, wet evening!

A warm summer holidays day in late July / August is pleasant however.

Can you cycle part of the way so you aren't playing outer zone fares? Where do you work? Ride to morden and pick up the tube (but get a couple of good d locks if leaving a bike near the tube)

mustang1

Guru
I can see where your SO is coming from. Sometimes you have to be a touch aggressive when cycling in the city. EVERYONE is impatient. Pot holes and pollution, tailgating and pathetic traffic, you get it all in the city.

But if you crack it, welcome to the urban jungle.

Let's assume she thinks it's too dangerous. What she needs to understand is it is more dangerous not to cycle. The health benefits outweigh the risks; that is cyclists will live longer on average than non cyclist.

The problem is, that is not immediately apparent. If you are an unfortunate victim of a RTC, she will wish you hadn't cycled. But if you get a stroke at age 68, nobody will think "if only he'd taken up cycling 30 years ago".

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2014/02february/pages/cycling-safety-a-special-report.aspx#benefits

Had the same issue. I applied scope creep and in time reached London.

vickster

Legendary Member
Let's assume she thinks it's too dangerous. What she needs to understand is it is more dangerous not to cycle. The health benefits outweigh the risks; that is cyclists will live longer on average than non cyclist.

The problem is, that is not immediately apparent. If you are an unfortunate victim of a RTC, she will wish you hadn't cycled. But if you get a stroke at age 68, nobody will think "if only he'd taken up cycling 30 years ago".

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2014/02february/pages/cycling-safety-a-special-report.aspx#benefits

I don't think she's banning him from cycling at all, just from cycling into London presumably to commute

OP
OP
Steppylud

Steppylud

Über Member
Yes, I can cycle whereever I want, Just not into London between the hours of 7-9am and out of london 4-7pm! She thinks I will die pure and simple. Was looking at the Cycling superhighways and can get pretty close to my office in Victoria, are they actually any good?

Top Bottom