Rapha Festive 500. Anyone doing it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
335km completed so far, although I am cheating by riding on Zwift as well :whistle:

13 rider

Guru
So I thought today that would finish off my chances . Awoke this morning at 0800 to the sound of rain lashing against the window ,Had a arranged meet at 1000 with Tallliman for a 50km ride which I would have got up to 50 m. Was quite thankful when he texted to same he wasn't coming due to the rain . So nipped to the shops to top up on milk and bread . By 1030 it was beginning to clear . Out the door at 1100 home 50 miles later still dry up to 377 km .3 days commuting to knock the rest off which is doable if the weather is ok

Tribansman

Veteran
Well done to all you who've made progress, especially as the weather's been poor.

I've failed miserably, haven't been able to make time at all and working rest of week. Just a few low mileage spins with Mini T and Grandad T, which have been lovely but not enough to burn off the obscene amount of foodnive eaten since Christmas Eve!

albal

Guru
356km done. It's not the rain I,m too bothered about, more the south westerly winds.

But l still dont think its fair to include inside or manually inputted rides, not really a challenge anymore is it?

Well Rapha and Strava obviously think it is! I agree with you 100% on the manually inputted rides however there could be many reasons as to why some can’t get the challenge done outside (time, weather, lockdowns etc) so to dismiss indoor efforts is a little purist and snobby in my view.

there could be many reasons as to why some can’t get the challenge done outside (time, weather, lockdowns etc) so to dismiss indoor efforts is a little purist and snobby in my view.
- time: err ... unless you live down a mine, or on a teeny island a boat-ride from somewhere rideable, I can't see that.
- weather: this is THE WHOLE POINT of the challenge. It's Christmas - it's cold outside. And probably wet+windy!
- lockdowns: how many places does this stop you riding 100k?

Right, I'm done, make up your own stupid rules. I'm not playing this year so do what you like :tongue:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If you don't want to do it on an indoor trainer, don't. How other people do it doesn't affect that.

But like @matticus I'm not doing it. Instead I have made tremendous progress on tidying up the garden. Unfortunately Rapha won't accept gardening which I think is totally unfair.

Alex321

Veteran
- time: err ... unless you live down a mine, or on a teeny island a boat-ride from somewhere rideable, I can't see that.
- weather: this is THE WHOLE POINT of the challenge. It's Christmas - it's cold outside. And probably wet+windy!
- lockdowns: how many places does this stop you riding 100k?

Right, I'm done, make up your own stupid rules. I'm not playing this year so do what you like :tongue:
I don't agree at all about the weather being the whole point - and obviously, neither do the organisers, or they wouldn't allow indoor rides.

And yes, time can very much be an issue.

Top Bottom