Rear wheel catching after changing tube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaslight

Hi All, complete novice to cyciling and am only just after getting a bike serviced a few weeks ago so trying to avoid another trip to the shop. I was cycling the other night and got a flat, not sure how. Anyways i removed rare wheel, fitted new tube and attached wheel again. Now when i spin the wheel it's catching on the break, take a look at my video. PLEASE HELP

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9o23sg1ff6ztuld/IMG_0642.TRIM.MOV?dl=0

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi and welcome to CC! :welcome:
The video is not very clear: first thing to try is to check the wheel is in properly.
Release the quick release, stand behind the bike, give the wheel a good pull, check it's in straight, then redo the quick release.

OP
OP
G

gaslight

seems to be in straight to me, sorry about video, the wheel just sits down into the slots and i tighten the quick release. Wheel spins ok when break is open but when i close the break clasp it's catching the break on one side. Can i centre the breaks, maybe that's the issue

OP
OP
G

gaslight

i could have gone through a pot hole, not sure certainly didn't feel it, looked around and wheel was losing air. Only seemed to be very small hole in the tube. Couldn't even see it only hear/feel it. I've tried putting my weight down on the saddle but it just seems to sit in the one position and that's it, i've looked nd it seems to be right in the middle of the frame. When i was taking tyre off i never opened the break clasp so maybe i knocked them off centre

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
i could have gone through a pot hole, not sure certainly didn't feel it, looked around and wheel was losing air. Only seemed to be very small hole in the tube. Couldn't even see it only hear/feel it. I've tried putting my weight down on the saddle but it just seems to sit in the one position and that's it, i've looked nd it seems to be right in the middle of the frame. When i was taking tyre off i never opened the break clasp so maybe i knocked them off centre

Possibly knocked the brake off center but the wheel has a definite wobble to it too (buckle). Might be a trip to the shop to get the wheel trued (straightened). £15 probs.

OP
OP
G

gaslight

ok brought it to shop, got it sorted, Got him to trues the wheel and straighten the breaks. Pumped up tyre but could only get it to 80 psi, literally coudln't push down lever anymore, is this ok to cycle? Have felt pressure and feels similar to front tyre

rrarider

Veteran
I don't know what the recommended pressure for your tyres is. I normally have my skinny tyres at 110 psi. To get this pressure, I use a good track pump, namely a Rennkompressor. Several other brand names can also reach this pressure.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@gaslight tyres in the video look chunky, not skinny.
On the sidewall of the tyre there is the range of recommended pressure -minimum/ maximum
It's in PSI and in BAR, two different measurement units, like Kg and Stone.
On the pump there is a gauge: you want to pump to a bit under the max, for comfort.
You could have asked the shop on how to do it, as you were already there!
YouTube will show you, having a track pump with a gauge at home for periodical top ups, and a small, portable pump in case of a flat on the road, is what most do.

Top Bottom