Rather pleased with myself

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rickh01

Über Member
Today I'm feeling rather pleased with myself as for the first time ever I have managed to complete 2 challenges on Strava. This might be nothing to most of you, but when work commitments rule your life it's hard to commit to any sort of exercise religiously. I'm not a massive competitor on Strava by any stretch of the imagination. But this has perked me up no end!!

weareHKR

Well done, that's what it's all about... ;)

weareHKR

Thanks mate, for the past few years all I have done is upload my rides to Strava. Failed on the challenges I've joined , so hopefully I might manage some more
Yeah, it's good to have a challenge, but as you say it's not always possible with other commitments in life.
succeed or fail.... as long as you enjoy it & achieve something, that's all that matters!

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I recall when I took a KoM. Id been working on it, practicing, analysing, and preparing before finally attacking it. Good news is that I did it, and the first 11 riders behind me were all racers or trainers. I was very pleased.

Once id busted the segment I backed off and nearly fainted, such was the level of exertion that this 18.5 stone ex lifter and bodybuilder had needed to do it. That scared me so much that having proven the point to myself, I then deleted my Strava account so I wouldn't be tempted to do something that might really end up causing me harm.

I record the rides on Garmin, and gladly accept sensible mileage awards, but never again will I try and get competitive.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I recall when I took a KoM. Id been working on it, practicing, analysing, and preparing before finally attacking it. Good news is that I did it, and the first 11 riders behind me were all racers or trainers. I was very pleased.

Once id busted the segment I backed off and nearly fainted, such was the level of exertion that this 18.5 stone ex lifter and bodybuilder had needed to do it. That scared me so much that having proven the point to myself, I then deleted my Strava account so I wouldn't be tempted to do something that might really end up causing me harm.

I record the rides on Garmin, and gladly accept sensible mileage awards, but never again will I try and get competitive.
Totally agree. It’s a bit of fun to start with but can get a bit obsessive. I remember entering the distance and climbing challenges most months and it ended up feeling I was just riding for the sake of the challenge and not for enjoyment so I don’t bother with them now.

Totally agree. It’s a bit of fun to start with but can get a bit obsessive. I remember entering the distance and climbing challenges most months and it ended up feeling I was just riding for the sake of the challenge and not for enjoyment so I don’t bother with them now.
I'm not on Strava and don't even have a cycling computer other than an old Cateye, but I do time my rides. I have just taken a few weeks off riding to reboot, because I was getting too competitive with myself and was treating the rides as exercise far more than enjoyment.

Even the Cateye will have to go when I start again.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I never enter any of the challenges but my feed is crammed with the challenges taken on by my Strava friends and associates. Don't see the point personally, but I do have a generous handful of KOMs which I get unintentionally/accidentally, or get so close to by accident that it would almost be rude not to go back on another ride and clean up after making a moderate effort.

Today I'm feeling rather pleased with myself as for the first time ever I have managed to complete 2 challenges on Strava. This might be nothing to most of you, but when work commitments rule your life it's hard to commit to any sort of exercise religiously. I'm not a massive competitor on Strava by any stretch of the imagination. But this has perked me up no end!!

Good for you.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Good stuff.

I've not done Strava challenges as I don't use Strava much, but I've done various CC challenges (imperial/metric monthly century challenges and now the climbing challenge) for a number of years.

There's a balance to be struck. They are great for keeping you honest and getting you out of lethargy and on to the road. But as others have noted they can also become a bit of a chore. That's when you need to think about changing things around a bit.

They are great for keeping you honest and getting you out of lethargy and on to the road. But as others have noted they can also become a bit of a chore. That's when you need to think about changing things around a bit.

I started cycling seriously last May during Lockdown 1. I use Strava to record distance, but last year thought I’d try the 600km in July challenge. I’d done it by mid July and so decided myself to go for 1,000km. It was fine until SWMBO decided that we’d do things as a family on 30th July and we went away for the day, leaving me about 20km short of the target. The last 20km was a bit of A chore on the last day and I didn’t enjoy it, but had to do it.

I‘ve loved my rides since then, just remember that particular one as I’d have preferred to not be out on that day.

Top Bottom