RC controlled cars....help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Straight onto it washed. Does roughening it up make a bug difference? (totally new to all this). Really do like the gold despite being a little anxious when my daughter decided that's what she wanted (as the yellow was out of stock from where I bought it)

PS. the poor thing ended up in a river this afternoon.... Wasn't me driving, and he won't be having a go again for a while... Drying out in rice atm (the electronics!)
The paint adheres better to a slightly rough surface better than a smooth one.

The switch is the weak point, in my opinion, when it comes to water.

gunja99

The paint adheres better to a slightly rough surface better than a smooth one.

The switch is the weak point, in my opinion, when it comes to water.
Oh didn't remove or even look at the switch! Doh! Ho well, was only in (and not full submerged) for seconds. We'll see, it's got a good load of rubber on it... Ergh, cba now, just sad didn't get to use both full batteries in the lovely weather!

classic33

Leg End Member
Oh didn't remove or even look at the switch! Doh! Ho well, was only in (and not full submerged) for seconds. We'll see, it's got a good load of rubber on it... Ergh, cba now, just sad didn't get to use both full batteries in the lovely weather!
I've run them in the wet, on snow/ice, so it's not the end!

gunja99

I've run them in the wet, on snow/ice, so it's not the end!

Yeah know not the end, just depends if need to replace anything. Shouldn't have tried to continue, for a few seconds the drive stopped but the steering was still turning before removed battery. If it's just the motor then I'll be happy. If motor OK even happier.

xzenonuk

Veteran
Gotta love the viper :smile:

xzenonuk

Veteran
bought one of these earlier https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbyw...ed-waterproof-esc-sbec/rc-car-products/404964

now i can finally get my thunder tiger drifter onto lipo with it's stock 17 turn motor (that melts tamiya connectors on nimhs) or do i put it into the lunchbox and see what a lunchie is like on 2s in the garden on stock motor.............

im edging to the lunchie as it has a ancient 4000mah nimh in it and i have a load of 2s lipos, then i could test one of they esc's out first hand before putting one in the power hungry drifter and buying another esc the same for it :smile:

got new back tyres for my grasshopper coming too woot they finally came back into stock :biggrin:

random pic of what my room is like charging the 2 2's batts for my hyper vse on ancient chargers for about 15-20 mins run time lol
r8JvFUg.jpg

Last edited:

tamiya

bought one of these earlier https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbyw...ed-waterproof-esc-sbec/rc-car-products/404964

now i can finally get my thunder tiger drifter onto lipo with it's stock 17 turn motor (that melts tamiya connectors on nimhs) or do i put it into the lunchbox and see what a lunchie is like on 2s in the

HW QR 1060 is best ESC ever for everything brushed, buy them by the dozen & chuck them into everything... :smile:

Worth upgrading the battery plug though. When rewiring best not to cut the wires too short. PCB is potted to be waterproof, it won't be a simple task to unsolder & replace wires at the board.

xzenonuk

Veteran
well i got it into the lunchie earlier, had to use a 4000mah battery as my bigger 5000mah ones catch on stuff in the battery tray, might be dremmel time lol

impressed with that esc for the price, found the wires a bit short but managed to work out where to position it so i don't need to remove the shell, got the power switch basically taped to the bottom of where the esc is sitting and the wire is long enough to plug in batts where it is sitting while the shell is on.

liking the extra punch on the stock motor and the nice consistent power that lipos give plus the water proofing for winter, just ordered one for dads pumpkin and another for my self plus a water proof cheapo servo as winter is coming, now im really hoping for snow this year lol :biggrin:

got dad to solder a deans onto it as i suck at soldering and my bolt is cheap :P

Fe2eRUg.jpg

edit: think i should put softer springs on the back, mum spilled a big bin with bin juice coming out it earlier in the garden so had to try the 2s lunchie outside the garden :smile:

edit 2: since i have loads of spare stock motors i wonder if i should try a 3s lipo lol meh im drunk but a 3s would give it a nice kick up it's ass :P

Last edited:

xzenonuk

Veteran
HW QR 1060 is best ESC ever for everything brushed, buy them by the dozen & chuck them into everything... :smile:

Worth upgrading the battery plug though. When rewiring best not to cut the wires too short. PCB is potted to be waterproof, it won't be a simple task to unsolder & replace wires at the board.

is there a awesome value waterproof esc for brushless motors as well?

only have a few brushed ones rest are brushless and not waterproof apart from the hyper vse which the manual says can drive under water if i remove the fan lol

edit: only need one to handle 2s and brushless motors up to 6000kv max but most are around the 3000-4250 range, really impressed with that 1060 for brushed ones, brushless equivalent? :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom