RC controlled cars....help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hicky

Guru
I’ve said to my second born I’d get him a reasonable RC car. The ones he has from Smyths etc bought by my devoted parents are on for laminated floor but struggle on anything else.
I remember a rip snorter of a Tamiya when I was a kid. It was that fast I crashed my friends that often I was banned.
Now, what’s the modern version of such machine that isn’t going to break the bank and will go over a carpark or a lawn?
Ps I know nothing about them now. Help 🤗

classic33

Leg End Member
Tamiya still make them, even re-released some of their older models.
Kyosho and hpi are two more that spring to mind.

What's your limit and what do you expect from it.

OP
OP
Hicky

Hicky

Guru
Limit £100 or have really not got a clue😬 poss £150, he’s 11 and will lose interest soon enough and although I’ll have a go I’ll get bored too. Thanks for the steer on the models to look at.

classic33

Leg End Member
Buggy?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-rising-fighter/rc-car-products/31173
There's a few others on there.

You'll have to up your budget for a 'proper' RC.

I used to be into RC years ago and I was looking at them a couple of months ago, (furlough boredom I think), and IIRC for something like the Tamiya Monster Beetle, with paint, radio, charger(s) and batteries, it was coming in at £200+, even £250+ depending on which radio, charger(s) and batteries you choose.

I suspect used prices will probably be more than buoyant ATM as well due to folk being stuck at home.

The Rising Fighter above will still need paint, a radio, charger(s) and batteries don't forget, but Modelsport is a great site for looking at the available options.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
For a Tamiya buggy etc need the kit, a simple two channel radio, 8.4 battery pack, charger and two standard servos. You might find something secondhand locally on gumtree.
I used to work for Ripmax their shops are now closed but are online now. Seems like they now sell complete electric buggy kits:
http://www.ripmax.com/Category_List.aspx?Category=040-033
All are built up include the radio, looks like a slow charger is included but you might like a fast one to avoid the interminable wait. Good idea to get a second battery so you won’t have to wait while one is charging. They offer spares too which you’ll find is pretty useful.
A controller with a side mounted steering wheel might be easier for your boy rather than sticks.
Shame I’m not in the U.K. I have a lovely 1/12th scale Tamiya F1 car I could have let you have for a few quid.but might just be too fast even for the car park.
87CD357F-EA5E-4F25-B4D5-21CF10A4481A.jpeg

I see it’s priced now at $170 just the car, ouch.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
You'll have to up your budget for a 'proper' RC.

I used to be into RC years ago and I was looking at them a couple of months ago, (furlough boredom I think), and IIRC for something like the Tamiya Monster Beetle, with paint, radio, charger(s) and batteries, it was coming in at £200+, even £250+ depending on which radio, charger(s) and batteries you choose.

I suspect used prices will probably be more than buoyant ATM as well due to folk being stuck at home.

The Rising Fighter above will still need paint, a radio, charger(s) and batteries don't forget, but Modelsport is a great site for looking at the available options.
I picked the ModelSport site because it's one place to see the different kits available, with shops/outlets over the country.

What price on the F1 car, and is it one of the four wheel drive versions.

keithmac

Guru
I bought my lad a HPI Nitro fueled truck a few years back, used it 5 times and hasn't moved since!.

Broadside

Guru
I used https://www.wonderlandmodels.com they were very good

I bought a Tamiya Sand Viper to build with my son, he learnt a lot from it and really enjoyed it.

Add £75 on top of the kit price for radio, batteries and a fast charger, they do a kit called a Race Oack which includes everything you need. I remember only having a slow charger as a kid and it really annoyed me, having a fast charger is a must.

You should be able to get everything you need for £150 so long as you get one of the cheaper models. Wherever you buy it make sure it includes the speed control module, lots on eBay don’t so they look cheaper but end up costing more.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
F1 cars can only really be run on very a smooth surface because of their low ground clearance. They share a chassis with the Group C sportscar models, one of which I had. The drive gear used to protrude below the chassis and any tiny stones used to get picked up and jam between the teeth on that and the pinion.

For an eleven year old I'd go for a rally car or a buggy.

OP
OP
Hicky

Hicky

Guru
I think I’m going to have a look round for a Ripmax after having a look on YouTube. They seem quick enough on a variety of surfaces.
Thank you for the input.👍

D

Deleted member 26715

I bought the grandson one a couple of years ago, 7.2v battery, bought the whole kit, think it was around £150, but it did mean that if he broke any part you could buy spares, that's one of the problems with the cheaper ones if something breaks you have to throw it away.

Top Bottom