Re-rimming a Mavic wheel - will 1.5mm make a difference on spoke length?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The rim on my 2008 rear Ksyrium SL is worn out and in the vain hope of keeping it alive for another year I've ordered the last available Ksyrium Elite S rim from a French website; the rim dimensions being identical although the Elite S is the black/silver finish.

The parts pdfs show that both wheels have drive-side spokes 275mm long.

However the non-drive spokes differ by 1.5mm: Ksyrium SL has spokes 298.5mm and Ksyrium Elite has spokes 301mm.

Have I shot myself in the foot? Any idea why the tiny difference for identical rims and hubs? Are spokes still available? Will my existing shorter SL spokes work with the Elite S rim?

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I wouldn't think 1.5mm would make a difference.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Thanks. My reckoning is that there has to be a certain amount of adjustability built into the nipple system and as long as there's sufficient nipple thread engaged in the rim, strength won't be compromised.

the snail

Guru
However the non-drive spokes differ by 1.5mm: Ksyrium SL has spokes 298.5mm and Ksyrium Elite has spokes 301mm.
I make that 2.5mm. With a conventional spoke/nipple that wouldn't be recommended, the spoke probably wouldn't make it into the body of the nipple, and the nipple would be prone to cracking at the shoulder. Plus those are aluminium parts? Good luck!

iluvmybike

Über Member
You may well find you need one of Mavics wheel tools for doing the job too - there are several different Mavic spoke keys

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Are you sure the hubs are identical? Maybe the amount of dish has changed in 10 years affecting the spoke lengths needed.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
The rim on my 2008 rear Ksyrium SL is worn out and in the vain hope of keeping it alive for another year I've ordered the last available Ksyrium Elite S rim from a French website; the rim dimensions being identical although the Elite S is the black/silver finish.

The parts pdfs show that both wheels have drive-side spokes 275mm long.

Have I shot myself in the foot? Any idea why the tiny difference for identical rims and hubs? Are spokes still available? Will my existing shorter SL spokes work with the Elite S rim?

I make that 2.5mm difference unless you meant 299.5mm in which case it would be 1.5mm

Interesting, I re rimmed a couple of sets a while ago, new rims and old spokes, it was an interesting challange that came out very well. Finding the correct spoke key was a bit of an issue, Rose Bikes used to have them.
The other problem was that my tension meter had no reference as to what tension was a particular reading but I have a devise where I can tension a spoke to the desired tension then read that on my tension meter, therefore, I had a good idea what tension I was putting on those spokes.

If you need to get a spoke key then pay particular attention to which one you need, they look the same but they are not.

Finally, 2.5mm seems a bit too much. BUT if you are only re-rimming and the rims are identical then your old spokes will be fine as you are also using the old hub, right? :-)

Nice wheels too :-)

Good luck

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Thanks, this echoes what I twigged this morning while driving to work.... if I'm using the same hub and the profile of the rim is identical, why would I need longer spokes on one side?

Just checked again and yes, the Elite hub and the SL hub are of different designs where the spokes are attached.

My idea of using the more recent Elite rim is based on the certainty that Mavic wouldn't have re-tooled their rim extruding machine just for a tiny change. The Elite rims look identical to my SL rims apart from the finish and the dimensions are identical on the Mavic PDFs. I probably won't even bother painting the new rim because I think there's a certain respectability in rebuilding something old with new parts and getting more use from it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
My biggest worry now is being able to remove the old rim without breaking the spokes if the nipples are rusted on. Anyway I've found a supply of spokes at TotalCycling but they're very expensive; a full set will cost around £80.

Top Bottom