Re-tiling a shower room - remove or tile over?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
An originally straightforward seeming job has escalated as these things are won't to do. A concealed shower valve was giving trouble, and as it's nigh on impossible to correctly identify parts, got a new valve. To investigate, a fair few tiles had to come off, and they aren't very nice tiles in the first place so the plan is to redo with nicer tiles

So, do we (a) rip all the existing tiles off

Or (b) tile over the existing ?

I'm inclined to (a) but would value everyone's advice

I'm likely to pay a pro' to do the tiling, as they will do a better job quicker than I will, and in my experience don't charge that much considering the time and grief it would take me to do it. Their own hourly rate is likely quite decent (for them) as they will get it done quick

8F9E32B5-23C1-42DF-A331-ED599F9B7F8E.jpeg

506D7A54-7932-4A76-A52C-A6078E8279C1.jpeg

3BE29C01-508F-43EC-92CE-2D90B0A7441F.jpeg

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'm likely to pay a pro' to do the tiling, as they will do a better job quicker than I will, and in my experience don't charge that much

I would ask who you are going to get to do the job what they think and the difference in cost

Bristolian

I've done a few DIY re-tiling jobs and have always removed the old ones. I was advised that it is hard to get the tiling adhesive to stick to the smooth, shiny surface of the old tiles and they then have have a tendency to come away about half way up a wall and you end up with a bowed surface. Obviously, this takes time to develop.

Hope that helps :smile:

icowden

Veteran
I agree with @Bristolian. Adhesives don't like smooth surfaces. The gnarlier the better usually. The only caveat I can think of is if you have unfriendly walls. My sister removed the tiles in her bathroom only to have the entire bathroom wall collapse (although the house looks newish it's two very old farm cottages knocked together, and the old lath and plast wall couldn't take it). In my house we have insta wall which is similarly reluctant to part with tiles.

It depends on the condiition of the underlying plaster. If it's damp from a previous leak, then it's likely that no tiles will stick to it.

You need to ask a professional tiler rather than relying on the opinions of amateurs on the Internet. Their hourly rate includes the skills they've built up over years of tiling. A decent one will not put their name to bad work.

TL; DR; you should ask your tiler.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Removing tiles is a nasty, brutal time consuming task but is essential for new tiles, might be easier if some are coming off. Tiler will charge accordingly.
Maybe do the removal yourself and leave the re tiling to him if you want to save a bit?

OP
OP
P

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I agree with @Bristolian. Adhesives don't like smooth surfaces. The gnarlier the better usually. The only caveat I can think of is if you have unfriendly walls. My sister removed the tiles in her bathroom only to have the entire bathroom wall collapse (although the house looks newish it's two very old farm cottages knocked together, and the old lath and plast wall couldn't take it). In my house we have insta wall which is similarly reluctant to part with tiles.

Apparently you have to thoroughly degrease, then put "special stuff" on the old tiles and only then tile cement. This all sounds dodgy to me , so I reckon they are coming off, at the risk of destroying the underlying plasterboard !

On the other hand Threvok's job was a sucess

OP
OP
P

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It depends on the condiition of the underlying plaster. If it's damp from a previous leak, then it's likely that no tiles will stick to it.

You need to ask a professional tiler rather than relying on the opinions of amateurs on the Internet. Their hourly rate includes the skills they've built up over years of tiling. A decent one will not put their name to bad work.

TL; DR; you should ask your tiler.

Indeed, but it's always worth getting a vibe over what questions to ask. And it helps judge the guy depending on whether he says "these are the pros and cons, and to tile over, we have to do such and such", vs him saying "fine I'll just tile over"

lazybloke

Considering a new username
@Profpointy : tiles on plasterboard???

If that's the situation,
A) it'll need stripping back and doing properly
and
b) they'll come off v easily

I have a bathroom that's a bit cold and suffers badly from condensation. No plasterboard, just solid walls with no cavity to insulate. It's a toss up where to put the insulation internally or externally. Maybe both.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Get them taken off.
Depending on the state of the walls you may need a replaster/re skim. Also you do know that you need tiling primer before you put fresh tiles on?. Don't make the mistake I did, get the right stuff to start with.

newts

Veteran
There is some stainng on the low vertical grout lines that would indicate that there is some water ingress into the substrate, (mould growing in the porous plasterboard behind). Tile on tile is possible with correct prep & adhesives, personally I would not recommend it. Plasterboard is not a suitable substrate for tiling in a wet area (shower). I would strip back to the studwork, board the walls with tile backer board. Tape the joints & tank the walls. Prime with SBR (some adhesives may not require priming) then tile/grout.

Top Bottom