Ready meals for one person......any favourites?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
With MrsD being in hospital and this virus having badly affected my taste buds and appetite I am trying ready meals.
Can't stand the Aldi ones, tried several, yeuk.
Daughter got me 3 M&S to try. OKish but expensive.
ASDA.....they have an excellent selection at 3 for £5.50 (good value). I have tried a few and am impressed.
SiL is recommending those home delivery, plated type but I am not sure.
Any suggestions?......preferably something you or someone you know has tried

Tenkaykev

Guru
There’s a lot of elderly people around where we live and we often notice the different delivery vans buzzing around at certain times of the day. Mrs Tenkaykev worked in nursing for many years and through her contacts got to know what firms were well regarded.
The best were the smaller local concerns who served a small area and did the cooking themselves so it may well be worth asking around locally.

13 rider

Guru
Have a Google for Parsley box My mum uses them ,Storage in just a cupboard so always ready without defrosting and I've tried them quite tasty

Hope mrs d is doing well, but can't you cook?
I avoid all ready meals for a whole load of reasons.
Am always something bemused/worried by all those ads you see selling boxes of stuff for to old folks, one of the latest ones seems to have introduced the sex selling angle.
Get in the kitchen and rattle those pots and pans.

Ps, if you haven't got one dave i'd get a decent steel wok from tk maxx, you can rustle up something tasty in less time than it takes to open and warm up a box.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Why meals for one?
If you must go down that route there are pre packed meals for two. That way you have two separate meals sorted.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Cook is fabulous - frozen ready meals that taste incredible. Not cheap but honestly worth every penny. You can buy online.

Hope Mrs D gets better really soon.

I am going to recommend asking your local pub? A few of the local pubs round me have taken to home deliveries of the food they used to serve in the restaurant at the pub. You can get a great Sunday lunch and if your a Teesside a great chicken parmo!

vickster

Legendary Member
Ready meals...Best would be Waitrose for me, then M&S. Also both have a good range of ping veggie side dishes to go with the ready meals (if you don’t want to prep fresh veg).
Cook have a good vegetarian selection.
Asda not good but I don’t eat meat and they have a very poor non meat selection.
Higgedy do good pies and quiches to chuck in the oven
Depends what you want though

My parents tried one of the delivery companies and weren’t impressed. Not sure which one it was though!

Last edited:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
My parents tried one of the delivery companies and weren’t impressed. Not sure which one it was though!

We've recently started using Hello Fresh and the food is delicious but it takes a good 30 mins to cook the dish so maybe not right for this particular situation. Would heartily recommend otherwise.

vickster

Legendary Member
We've recently started using Hello Fresh and the food is delicious but it takes a good 30 mins to cook the dish so maybe not right for this particular situation. Would heartily recommend otherwise.
Cool, what’s their fish/veggie selection like? Although I could just be less lazy and cook :laugh:
My mum is happy to cook, they probably saw a TV ad or one in the Telegraph and thought they’d try it, might have been Parsley Box?

Top Bottom