Ready to start!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does your rear light or either of them flash? I can’t figure out how to make mine flash lol
Yep, turn them on, then you press the button twice in quick succession to get the flash mode activated, then a further set of single presses for each of the power levels, up to the ‘migraine inducing’ strobe mode on the front lights. With the rear, again hold the button down until the light comes on, and double press the button to switch between solid and flash modes, and single presses for increasing power modes.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you want some adjustments and good general advice, pop down to Birmingham Bike Foundry in Stirchley and they can help you out. Nancy will be able to give you good female advice if she is around. Prices are exceptionally good there too.
This is an excellent suggestion :okay:

I ride junior bikes as I'm somewhat undertall. Unlike @vickster I don't have the problems she has, as the bikes and the components are just right for someone my 4ft 11 frame. Except the saddles, but that's not relevant here.

If you're finding that the brifters that come with the bike are too big, there are other alternatives to the ones suggested that *won't* break the bank - my roadie has Microshift ones (bike runs 2 x 8 Shimano Claris gearing) which fit really well for those of us with smaller hands. Can't remember exactly which ones are fitted, but I can look them up for you if you want.

But unlike @vickster I do most of my road bike riding on rural roads, so don't feel the need to fit cross-top brake levers. For me, they'd be more of a hindrance than a help, as any urban riding that I do, I will tend to take the hybrid as a) I prefer the more upright position for riding in traffic and b) I need the luggage capacity.

Moral of this is what works for one person may not necessarily work for another. And as you're a newbie, please get used to riding the bike first before making any sort of changes. Else you may well be throwing money away unnecessarily - especially since IIRC you are on a fairly limited budget.

BSOh

Über Member
I ride junior bikes as I'm somewhat undertall. Unlike @vickster I don't have the problems she has, as the bikes and the components are just right for someone my 4ft 11 frame. Except the saddles, but that's not relevant here.

If you're finding that the brifters that come with the bike are too big, there are other alternatives to the ones suggested that *won't* break the bank - my roadie has Microshift ones (bike runs 2 x 8 Shimano Claris gearing) which fit really well for those of us with smaller hands. Can't remember exactly which ones are fitted, but I can look them up for you if you want.

But unlike @vickster I do most of my road bike riding on rural roads, so don't feel the need to fit cross-top brake levers. For me, they'd be more of a hindrance than a help, as any urban riding that I do, I will tend to take the hybrid as a) I prefer the more upright position for riding in traffic and b) I need the luggage capacity.

Moral of this is what works for one person may not necessarily work for another. And as you're a newbie, please get used to riding the bike first before making any sort of changes. Else you may well be throwing money away unnecessarily - especially since IIRC you are on a fairly limited budget.

Same as me, I had Microshift shifters on the junior cross bike I bought (also a shorty at not quite 5'1"), 9 speed triple I think. Not flashy or expensive but did the job.

OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

I have been looking at the microshift shifters. Which ones do you have if you don’t mind?

I just can’t see past the £50+ each!

I only spent £150 on the bike!

tempted to flog it and buy a womens bike now 😞 very disappointed

13 rider

Guru
Don't be disappointed ,give it some time try another ride . I would ring the Bike foundary as mentioned up thread have a chat about your issues and see what they say . They may be able to help for a reasonable amount . All the advice you get on here is well meaning but can be very confusing to a beginner.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
tempted to flog it and buy a womens bike now 😞 very disappointed
L.R, maybe you are going too quick too soon? If I were in your situation I would be concentrating on getting the hybrid set up as well as possible and working on my fitness. It's not about the bike particularly and you just need to get comfortable.
Not sure if I have mentioned this but until recently my favourite and most used bike was a hybrid. I had an excellent, expensive road bike and a superb mountain bike to choose from as well as the hybrid but would nearly always use the hybrid because it was the most versatile thanks to its panniers and mudguards and was also comfortable and capable of eating up the miles. I did many 100 mile rides on this bike and even chose this bike for my biggest ever ride of 185 miles in a day.
Maybe let the roadbike go and focus on the hybrid. Roadbikes can be a bit marmite for some people and are not always easy to live with or get used to (took me a couple of years to really get it and even now I could take it or leave it if I could have found a suitable hybrid to replace the last one).

I understand your disappointment. It's incredibly frustrating when we buy something that we think will be better, but it turns out to be more difficult than we thought.

I don't mean to be flippant or lighthearted, but you have a simple solution - your hybrid.
At this time of the year the more upright style, the wider tyres and it's comfort/ease of use make it eminently more practical for a beginner.

When the days are brighter, longer, safer and you have built up a library of nice routes to cycle then you can have another go at the new bike.

There's no doubt that some of the discomfort is simply due to the different position on the bike. It's quite possible that minimal changes (if any) will be needed.

In the meantime, try to concentrate on enjoying the cycling that you do. Everything else will fall into place.

It's far, far more important to have a good attitude than a "good" bike. Surely the fact that the one you bought had such little mileage is proof of that? Try to concentrate on keeping your positive attitude.

Oh, and have someone look at the gears if they're not shifting smoothly. They can be very finnicky when you aren't sure exactly what you're doing.

Best of luck!

12boy

Guru
Of the 6 bikes I keep in my bike sheds adjacent to my house, my favorite 2 are my Surly Steamroller, which is sometimes a single speed and other times sports a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub, and my Brompton. Not the fastest but the funnest. I didn't want to disparage your road bike, but with the right tires the hybrid won't be much slower, and most importantly, fits you comfortably. Furthermore, there are lots of drop type bars made for mtn bikes that would allow you to adapt to drop bars. Just sayin.

Reactions: mjr

vickster

Legendary Member

I don't have any flat bar bikes now, however 4 of my 5 roadbikes have a rack and cross levers :okay:

L.R, maybe you are going too quick too soon? If I were in your situation I would be concentrating on getting the hybrid set up as well as possible and working on my fitness. It's not about the bike particularly and you just need to get comfortable.
Not sure if I have mentioned this but until recently my favourite and most used bike was a hybrid. I had an excellent, expensive road bike and a superb mountain bike to choose from as well as the hybrid but would nearly always use the hybrid because it was the most versatile thanks to its panniers and mudguards and was also comfortable and capable of eating up the miles. I did many 100 mile rides on this bike and even chose this bike for my biggest ever ride of 185 miles in a day.
Maybe let the roadbike go and focus on the hybrid. Roadbikes can be a bit marmite for some people and are not always easy to live with or get used to (took me a couple of years to really get it and even now I could take it or leave it if I could have found a suitable hybrid to replace the last one).

@I like Skol has hit the nail on the head, methinks...

I love my road bike, but my go-to bike is my hybrid, whether that's for bimbling, shopping or touring. Just ride the hybrid, get fit, and then when the weather is a bit less crappy, take out the roadie and have a play. A ladies' specific bike won't solve anything as such - it's just getting a bike that fits. At the end of the day, the main difference is (mainly) just a paint job...

Anyways, here's my hybrid - I took it down to Hampshire last summer and rode a 30k along the Itchen valley. Not a long ride, but a hilly one. Or, as in this pic, I went to visit a friend who lives 11 miles away. Took the long way home that day and rode 27 miles on a beautiful August day. Bike is a Wiggins Chartres 26, a lovely thing to ride, but far too small for you xxx

IMG_0058_small.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
@I like Skol has hit the nail on the head, methinks...

I love my road bike, but my go-to bike is my hybrid, whether that's for bimbling, shopping or touring. Just ride the hybrid, get fit, and then when the weather is a bit less crappy, take out the roadie and have a play. A ladies' specific bike won't solve anything as such - it's just getting a bike that fits. At the end of the day, the main difference is (mainly) just a paint job...
Indeed this. If the frame is the right size, it can be adjusted as suggested. None of my bikes have a 'women's frameset but the parts mean they fit better to my frame which has different proportions to that what bike manufacturers seem to think would be typical for Mr Average 5'10

Top Bottom