Ready to start!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

Bar width- measure shoulders
Inline brakes, just take the bike to your local shop and explain, they’ll be able to supply and fit
If elbows locked, you’re reaching too far. If frame correct size, a shorter stem needed
Should the bar width be the same width as my shoulders then?

I may consider getting some inline breaks if shortening the stem isn't helpful

Thank you for your advice! You're a star

13 rider

Guru
I believe the reach of claris brake levers can be adjusted via a hex bolt under the rubber cover but this will also alter the tension of the brake cable which in turn may need adjusting

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thats a really good idea - except - i took the saddle off my hybrid and put it on my road bike because the other saddle was too uncomfortable! Never thought to measure the height.

If you have left the old seat post in the Hybrid without moving it height wise you could just measure to the clamping area on both .

vickster

Legendary Member
Should the bar width be the same width as my shoulders then?

I may consider getting some inline breaks if shortening the stem isn't helpful

Thank you for your advice! You're a star
Brakes!! :whistle:
Yep get someone to measure shoulder blade to blade. Measure current bars centre to centre. I’m female and hardly petite at 5’10 but I use a 38 or 40 c-c bar. Mens bikes the right size usually come with 42 or even 44cm. Toowide, inflame my wrists as they are at wrong angle on hoods or corners

Riding a road bike is a very different feeling to riding a hybrid. As a newbie, you'll feel a more marked difference than those of us used to hopping between different bikes. It does take a little getting used to, especially the brakes and gearshift, but once you get the hang of it, it does become second nature.

Other than getting the saddle height right, I wouldn't change anything until you've got the hang of riding the bike. Get that down pat first, and only then start tweaking things.

You'd be surprised how much of the feeling of "not quite right" is just not being used to the bike.

And don't forget, the achey neck is just you not being used to a road bike. It's a different riding position, so you will find you have muscles in places you didn't think you had any.

OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

Brakes!! :whistle:
Yep get someone to measure shoulder blade to blade. Measure current bars centre to centre. I’m female and hardly petite at 5’10 but I use a 38 or 40 c-c bar. Mens bikes the right size usually come with 42 or even 44cm. Toowide, inflame my wrists as they are at wrong angle on hoods or corners

LOL BRAKES! Although - break does seem more fitting in my case atm

Okay so - my shoulders are 40cm and the bikes bar is 44cm - so I need a smaller bar im guessing - and therefore need to adjust everything! As well as the stem, saddle etc.
I have a decathlon not far from me - and a few local bike cafes/workshops that I may need to introduce myself at to help me with this. Unless you can suggest anything else?

OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

Riding a road bike is a very different feeling to riding a hybrid. As a newbie, you'll feel a more marked difference than those of us used to hopping between different bikes. It does take a little getting used to, especially the brakes and gearshift, but once you get the hang of it, it does become second nature.

Other than getting the saddle height right, I wouldn't change anything until you've got the hang of riding the bike. Get that down pat first, and only then start tweaking things.

You'd be surprised how much of the feeling of "not quite right" is just not being used to the bike.

And don't forget, the achey neck is just you not being used to a road bike. It's a different riding position, so you will find you have muscles in places you didn't think you had any.

Thank you. Thats really reassuring - did feel a little shakier.

I think I have managed to get to grips with the gears though - compared to my hybrid the gear change was much smoother!

I just don't want to end up not enjoying it because it hurts too much lol.

I can see myself really getting into cycling and have plans to join clubs and commute to work - so making sure im comfortable is important.

Plus I have a 100 mile ride in June! Arghhhh

13 rider

Guru
I would go changing too many things just yet . Ride the bike at a bit more to see if you get use to it bike fit is personal and varies person to person . Getting to know a local bike shop or workshop is great for a novice to ask for advice and pick up a few bits from

Thank you. Thats really reassuring - did feel a little shakier.

I think I have managed to get to grips with the gears though - compared to my hybrid the gear change was much smoother!

I just don't want to end up not enjoying it because it hurts too much lol.

I can see myself really getting into cycling and have plans to join clubs and commute to work - so making sure im comfortable is important.

Plus I have a 100 mile ride in June! Arghhhh

YVW, hun :okay:

The first time I rode my roadie, I was wibbly wobblying all over the place... :blush: I'd come from riding an old-style rigid mountain bike on big fat tyres, and it was like OMG, what the blazes have I done...

Oddly, the faster you ride, the less wobbly it gets. :laugh: And your body will get used to it. :okay:

tom73

Guru
I’m with others it’s going to feel very different just give it time to get use to things. You soon get use to things at the moment you won’t really know what will help and with a number of possibles it will too much change at once. Carry on taking it steady and get use to moving your hands on the bars which is one main difference than flat bars.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd get the bars changed and the extra brake levers fitted asap...you need to be able to stop quickly and confidently and the roads are greasy at the mo :okay:
Shift the seat forward as suggested if you can (check markings on rails). Locked elbows aren't never good. How long is the stem on the bike?

OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

I'd get the bars changed and the extra brake levers fitted asap...you need to be able to stop quickly and confidently and the roads are greasy at the mo :okay:
Shift the seat forward as suggested if you can (check markings on rails). Locked elbows aren't never good. How long is the stem on the bike?

Okay - cool.
The stem from middle of the bars to centre of the headset is 11cm

vickster

Legendary Member
Okay - cool.
The stem from middle of the bars to centre of the headset is 11cm
What size is the bike? I’d maybe try a 90mm stem (I use a 100mm stem on a 54cm top tube bike)
Stick a wanted ad for the parts in the classifieds. Someone may well have a stem and bars in the shed :okay:

OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

What size is the bike? I’d maybe try a 90mm stem (I use a 100mm stem on a 54cm top tube bike)
Stick a wanted ad for the parts in the classifieds. Someone may well have a stem and bars in the shed :okay:
Good idea!
The bike is 51cm - medium

Top Bottom