Ready to start!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is true but ... one or two longer rides are more beneficial than no rides at all!!

So if scheduling is a problem don't let the devil use that fact to invent excuses.
Quite. The idea is to form a habit, it’s harder to form the habit than it is to break it.

icowden

Veteran
It looks like you have some pretty pleasant roads out towards Frankley reen. Or possibly Egghill Lane / Bartley Reservoir in a loop?
Merrits brook looks like it has a nice path running beside it. You could possibly go up hanging lane, then hoggs lane, left onto holloway and then cycle along the path though ley hill park. There's a weird crossing on shelley lane, then more lovely path through park land up to manor house drive, where you can loop and go back the way you came. Looks like it is part of Merrits Brook Greenway which runs from Ley Hill Park to Stirchley.

The review isn't great, but it might be worth a try to see if the nice parts make a good cycle.
http://www.pushbikes.org.uk/location/merritts-brook-greenway

The advantage of following a watercourse, is that they tend not to be too hilly as water likes to wander slowly down / up hill.

Congrats on the first ride by the way!! That's a horrible route in terms of elevation - if you can find a flatter route, you will find it easier to build distance.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well done - the journey (literally) starts here :okay:
I've given you a follow for when you start wondering "who are all these weirdos?" :blush:
Ah, the Strava thing....

@LibraRider you do know you can set up an exclusion zone to hide the ride portion around your house and place of work don't you? This is probably worth doing for personal security as it hides your locations from any 'weirdos' and prevents them following you home!

Not trying to scare you but you can't really be too careful. I have restricted my surroundings, not for my security as I am a bald ugly middleaged male so should be safe in that respect, but I don't want anyone trying to nick my bikes!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
@LibraRider - one more tip, make sure you revisit this thread in a few months time to marvel that you found 5.2 miles so tough. By then you will be knocking out 30 mile plus rides and grinning the whole way around thinking it weird that 5 miles was a challenge.

I am not knocking your route, but if you get the chance, stay away from the A38. In fact, given where you are, heading out towards Belbroughton and then eventually Clent Hill would be great fun.

OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

Ah, the Strava thing....

@LibraRider you do know you can set up an exclusion zone to hide the ride portion around your house and place of work don't you? This is probably worth doing for personal security as it hides your locations from any 'weirdos' and prevents them following you home!

Not trying to scare you but you can't really be too careful. I have restricted my surroundings, not for my security as I am a bald ugly middleaged male so should be safe in that respect, but I don't want anyone trying to nick my bikes!
Oh god - I got so freaked out then 😂

I've updated that now. Thank you!

@icowden
thank you for the route. I may give it a go. It is a bit hilly though - so perhaps when I’m a little fitter. 😂

OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

@LibraRider - one more tip, make sure you revisit this thread in a few months time to marvel that you found 5.2 miles so tough. By then you will be knocking out 30 mile plus rides and grinning the whole way around thinking it weird that 5 miles was a challenge.

I am not knocking your route, but if you get the chance, stay away from the A38. In fact, given where you are, heading out towards Belbroughton and then eventually Clent Hill would be great fun.

Ah yes. The A38 was a bit frightening. Especially when I had to cross over. I need to get used to looking over my shoulder and sitting back on my saddle a bit more.

vickster

Legendary Member
Look over your shoulder a lot when on busy roads, especially if you need to turn, change lane, even avoid a pothole or drain. It also alerts drivers, also indicate with your arm in plenty of time

boydj

Legendary Member
Well done on the first ride. I'd definitely mix up the routes as you build up your experience. I'd also caution against chasing times for the first few weeks. Listen to your body. If you're tired, either take a rest or go out and take it very easy. Your fitness will build up quickly initially. It's important to get the habit established and to grow your cycling skills and go through the learning curve of dealing with traffic and learning the vagaries of the driver population.

nickAKA

Über Member
Ah, the Strava thing....

She's safe from you & I though obviously, I only stalk locals...

Got my 2nd ride in tonight guys!
Little bit further - little bit steeper - little bit colder.

I survived though! And In the dark too! :tongue:
You're hardier than I - I don't go out at night, and try really, really hard not to go out in the cold, either!
Definitely going to think about London to Brighton again this year, about time I did it on a lighter bike....It remains my longest ever ride, not good for the years I've had the bikes!

Top Bottom