Really daft things you've done that have resulted in injury

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It didn' seem daft, not sure it does now but I once had two parcels to carry the length of the site. They were about a foot square, heavy and stapled over the top using those real heavy copper coloured staples about 1 inch long.

I saw someone at work, the other week, who had managed to staple two fingers to wood, using this type of staple, & an industrial 'gun' (worked in a furniture manufacturer, of types)

mustang1

Guru
Just a couple of hours ago, was having dinner at a local pub with the family. My son ordered a sizzling mixed grill (he's only 9 but has hollow legs and can eat for England...and most other nations!). As it was placed in front of him, on the burning hot cast iron sizzle plate, he went to touch the plate! Rather than bat his hand away, I grabbed the plate and shoved it out of the way....then spent 15 mins the toilet with my hand under the cold tap and now have some lovely blistered fingers that are screaming! My son enjoyed his meal though and had eaten most of mine by the time I came back BTW!

Ever done something without thought that really caused you pain???

Exactly same thing happened to me many years ago.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
When another cyclist fell over and kindly used me as an airbag, i declined the offer of a lift to the hospital to get it checked out. I thought they might keep me in,and seeing as my team Accrington were playing neighbours Burnley in a cup match that night,and i'd already bought a ticket,i didn't want to miss it. I was given a lift to the match but had to hobble the few hundred yards from the car to the ground then back again,which took ages. Not only that but i did four rides the following week,totalling around 100 miles,before i decided that it wasn't getting any better and i decided to cycle up to the A&E. They told me my hip was broken and were surprised when i told them i'd cycled 6 miles to get there,and even more so when i told them i'd done around 100 miles since being knocked off my bike.I know the miles and length of time before having it seen to didn't break my hip,but they certainly didn't help.

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Being the awesome woodworker that I was, I needed no girly guard on my 10" tablesaw. As I pushed the lump of wood through, I took my eyes of it for a second to have a sip on my coffee. There's a nice big scar going across my left thumb now and the blade got a new coat of red 'paint'.
However, accidents can happen to anyone and as such, I was still too good to be caught out by stupidity. Cue a year or 2 later and the router being clamped in my Black&Decker Workmate as a makeshift router table.......again with no guard. Coming up to the last few mm of wood the blade caught it and pulled it through ultra quick along with a couple of my fingers. Right little finger suffered a severed tendon and now has a permanent 'curve' and the one next to it was nicked too.
Drove a stanley knife into my right thigh once and buried a chisel in my left palm too.
Too many other cases of stupidity too mention :smile:

tyred

Legendary Member
My MkI Golf had one one of those horrible thin-rimmed steering wheels with hard bakelite type covering so I decided to move into the comfort zone with a nice padded wheel scavenged from a later MKII Golf.

Set to work, removed the nut holding the steering wheel in place but it wouldn't budge. With feet braced against the bulkhead I gave it a few sharp tugs when it pulled off suddenly and hit me in face leaving me with a bruise and a bleeding nose...

sight-pin

Veteran
Few years back i was making some Chinese pancake rolls, after frying them in deep oil i tipped the hot oil into a jug to cool. washed the pot and was placing it back in the lower cupboard when i felt this excruciating pain on my face then my shoulder and arm, looked up to see the jug melting with all the oil running off the worktop on me. Talk about pain! Screamed out to the wife who then help splash cold water all over and then onto soaked tea towels.
Should of gone to the hospital really but i was in too much pain. Anyway after a few hours of soaked towels the pain eased. Happy to say no scars just one small white patch about the size of a penny on my inner shoulder. Next time i'll use the correct jug:eek:. Talk about lucky.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Testing the ASCO works Kawasaki 600 F2 sidecar at Donington Park with a view to buying it in 1992.
They thought it a good idea that I do a full meeting on it, to get a good feel of it.
Practice went OK.
First race and I ran out of brakes into the chicane onto the start finish straight (I was used to a much lighter 350 outfit) and ended up at the back of the field. Red mist descended and I made my way back up the field, went to overtake another outfit by diving up the inside at Coppice, lost it completely and spun - crashing into another outfit and taking him out. In the heat of the moment I had forgotten that the gear change was the opposite way to what I normally ran and had changed down instead of up at 13000 rpm! In the resulting melee I broke my right foot and forearm.
I didn't buy the outfit........

Hyslop

Veteran
Helping my mother move her very large and heavy, old fashioned tv unit with shelving (she was putting it in another room and making a space for a new flat screen that wouldn't fit in the shelf.) I had one end and she had the other, and I had to let go with one hand to open the door.

"You got it, mom?"
"Yep, I've got it! Don't worry!"
"You sure?"
"Absolutely!"
"Ok..."

I let go with one hand to reach behind for the doorknob and the entire unit slammed down onto my big toe, shattering it. She didn't have it :sad: In hindsight, she is 4'8" and 91lbs, so not a lot of upper body strength. I probably should've just set it down, opened the door, and picked it back up, haha!
I've had a similar experience.My mum sounds somewhat similar in height and weight,I too was moving her TV.And,she would insist on helping,which was fine in its own way,but she's 97 and not entirely reliable as regards the understanding of what it takes to move a heavy telly through several internal doors.I was doing OK until she got between myself and the next door,at which point I dropped the bl****y telly on my foot.All she said was..."you've always been a bit clumsy"and promptly closed the door, wandered off,and sat down watching her new,all singing dancing TV.I was so pleased.

Cavalol

Guru
Jumped out of my chair to celebrate someone scoring against Liverpool in the Champions League a few years ago, and tore a ligament in my leg. The pain was horrific and I had to go to A&E, but it was worth it because Liverpool lost!

the stupid one

Über Member
Antibes last summer, I was holed up in the shade, sweating and miserable. Trying not to look too much of a grumpy git to the lovely family we’d gone with, I took a comedy jog around the pool, intending to get straight back into the shade once I’d shown my face.
Stepped on the long, curved, leathery leaf of a plant in the border with my right foot, and tripped over the newly-made hazard with my left foot. Landed heavily with my arms against my chest, took a moment to assess the damage then hobbled, winded, back to the shade, smiling bravely.
Spent much of the next nine days sweating and miserable in the air conditioned bedroom nursing my battered ribs.

Elysian_Roads

You know those hand-held blenders?
If you're trying to unclog one using your fingers, make REALLY FECKING SURE it's unplugged would be my advice.
*ouch*
The ex 'BiL' did exactly that one Christmas Day. Didn't see him slice into his finger as was in the other room, but spent quite a while that afternoon cleaning blood off lots of surfaces while he was off at A&E. Some of the blood must have been the best part of six feet away from where he was standing. Would have made a CSI very happy....

Top Bottom