Really daft things you've done that have resulted in injury

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
is shucking Scallops on the shotline at 9m doing Deco and slashing your hand the same as an oyster slip ? asking for a friend ...
Dont think many CCrs will understand that. May I translate?
1. After a deepish dive one has to do at least one decrompression (deco) stop.
2. One normally sends up a bouy on a rope then ascends on that rope......holding on at the eg 9 metre stop.
3. One may take those few minutes to open the oysters he/she has collected.
I imagine its not nice to slash your hand while having to spend 3 minutes hanging there.

2. One normally sends up a bouy on a rope then ascends on that rope......holding on at the eg 9 metre stop.
I imagine its not nice to slash your hand while having to spend 3 minutes hanging there.
what with all them sharks circling n'all

TVC

I've never tried any knife work on the 3 minute stop, normally I try hanging cross legged, which can lead to an ungainly inversion and once to cramp, much to the amusement of my instructor.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I've never tried any knife work on the 3 minute stop, normally I try hanging cross legged, which can lead to an ungainly inversion and once to cramp, much to the amusement of my instructor.
First time I used a 'pony' cylinder I didnt realise it actually makes you more bouyant. I managed to get down by duck diving but then thought......hang on, if im more bouyant when tanks are full what is going to happen when they're empty. I loaded my stab jacket with rocks......but alas at 6 metres I simply shot past it.
They put me on pure air for one hour and fortunately was OK.

subaqua

What’s the point
First time I used a 'pony' cylinder I didnt realise it actually makes you more bouyant. I managed to get down by duck diving but then thought......hang on, if im more bouyant when tanks are full what is going to happen when they're empty. I loaded my stab jacket with rocks......but alas at 6 metres I simply shot past it.
They put me on pure air for one hour and fortunately was OK.
Pure air ... Shirley pure oxygum(sic) you should post on the dive forum . It’s friday . And there’s a pony thread . @Profpointy

gbb

Legendary Member
It didn' seem daft, not sure it does now but I once had two parcels to carry the length of the site. They were about a foot square, heavy and stapled over the top using those real heavy copper coloured staples about 1 inch long.
Because of the weight I decided slipping my fingers up to the knuckles in the small gap in the lid was a good idea, that way I could carry them without bending my arms.
I got half way and the lid (or staples) gave way and it fell to the floor, I felt a huge pain in my finger, lifted it up to inspect to see a staple deeply embedded, fishing hook style in my fingertip. :ohmy:

Well, it' not going to come out easily, I had to thread the thing back through to get it out. The mechanics of it getting in and how it did still flummox me.

colly

Re member eR
Things dont improve with age either. Not too long ago l had large container of hand wipes. A bit like baby wipes but for getting paint and oil off hands.
Pulling a few out of the hole in the lid though the spikey, bendy tooth things.
I pulled too many.
Pushing them back in with my finger was not the best idea l've ever had .
Finger went in no problem. Getting it out again was impossible. The teeth things may have been only plastic but would they release the finger. NO.
After 5 mins of pulling and using scissors in my left hand to try to cut the teeth l was leaking red stuff.
I walked up to the house, canister dangling on my finger and had to suffer the indignity of my son and daughter laughing themselves silly before they helped me get it off.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The more l think about that the more l cringe
I've got some interestingly-shaped scars on my left index finger, and a slightly lumpy numbish bit.
I'm just wondering about seeing how numb it actually is, by sticking a needle into it.
It's amazing the stupid ideas you get after you've just got in from work (literally, about 45 minutes ago) and had a beer on an empty stomach.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
You know those hand-held blenders?
If you're trying to unclog one using your fingers, make REALLY FECKING SURE it's unplugged would be my advice.
*ouch*

I've got some interestingly-shaped scars on my left index finger, and a slightly lumpy numbish bit.
I'm just wondering about seeing how numb it actually is, by sticking a needle into it.
It's amazing the stupid ideas you get after you've just got in from work (literally, about 45 minutes ago) and had a beer on an empty stomach.

Do it. You know you want to

Edit: Then you can post about it while you're in A&E.

Having just had a few moments poking my finger with a sharp thing, I'm pretty sure the numbish bit is either thick skin or scar tissue.
I suspect if I poked a bit harder it would hurt.
I'm not going to.

Top Bottom