Really daft things you've done that have resulted in injury

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
ah yes... I still have the scar. My attempt to remove a big blob of solder using the 'wrist flick' method resulted in the big blob of solder quickly dripping off the vertical iron onto the back of the hand holding it. Two lessons learnt; use less solder and wipe the excess off.

Done something similar doing a bit of plumbing -the thought "I'd better watch out or that big blob of solder will drop onto my hand" went through my mind a nanosecond before that's exactly what happened - and it stuck to my wrist under my watchstrap. Still have the scar from that one too

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I was about 5/6 and playing in the garden of a friend of my mum. I climbed her back wall and slid down the washing line post, this type of one;
Washing line pole wrapping cleat bracket-500x500.JPG

I needed stitches, let's leave it at that.

Hyslop

Veteran
Apparently,many accidents occur in the home,and Im proof of that.I wander around the house slipperless all the merry day,fine,until one day last year when I slipped going upstairs and,bouncing off the stairs,cracked 4 ribs.A painful lesson,alas,not one I have learned from !

colly

Re member eR
Pulled up outside a house and went to reverse the van into the drive. To check I was still clear I stuck my head out the window to look behind................except the window was only half way down.

Cue split lip, loose front tooth and a bloody nose.

Also with a staple gun in my hand the air hose snagged as I moved and I accidentally pulled the trigger. One 18mm staple whacked into my thigh just an inch from my family jewels.
It hurt, naturally, but to pull it out I had to lever it upwards with a staple removing tool it was buried so hard. As I pulled it out I could feel it dragging through the flesh. xx(
Almost passed out. Not quite.:smile:

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Ran for a bus when I was nine. Reached it while it was still stopped, so I grabbed the handrail just in time for the door to close on my arm, with my hand on the inside and the rest of me on the outside.

Bus pulled away ...

Five weeks in hospital followed.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I dropped a blob of high melting point hot melt glue on the back of my hand, on that web of skin between my thumb and forefinger. Unbelieveable pain. My natural inclination was to pull the blob off with the fingers of my other hand, pretty sharpish. Big mistake. I just pulled off patches of burnt skin from two hands, rather than having a burn on just one.

Oldbloke

Guru
Went to my local recycling centre, feeding cans etc into the bin and had a large can with loose lid that wouldn't fit so gave it a hefty punch to get it through. The lid sliced into my inner wrist causing a magnificent fountain of blood.

No one about but luckily managed to stem the flow before being carted off to hospital for stitching. Missed the vein by mms...

Jody

Stubborn git
Ever done something without thought that really caused you pain???

Lots. A & E was my second home growing up :laugh::B)

David Morris and I somehow attached a found beer bottle to his footy scarf, swung it round, bolas style, and launched it skyward to watch it fall. That was the game. Simple times.

One time it was launched but we couldn't see it, gawping upwards neither of us was aware of its trajectory which ultimately found it landing on David's head, knocking him clean out

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Dug some worms for fishing and put them in a jam jar. Screwed lid on and then thought I'd better put some air holes in the lid. Held jar in left hand and punched three holes with a sharpened screwdriver. Fourth hole was through the muscle between thumb and forefinger with tip of screwdriver protruding from my palm. Didn't really feel it on the way in but fainted when I pulled it out.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Helping my mother move her very large and heavy, old fashioned tv unit with shelving (she was putting it in another room and making a space for a new flat screen that wouldn't fit in the shelf.) I had one end and she had the other, and I had to let go with one hand to open the door.

"You got it, mom?"
"Yep, I've got it! Don't worry!"
"You sure?"
"Absolutely!"
"Ok..."

I let go with one hand to reach behind for the doorknob and the entire unit slammed down onto my big toe, shattering it. She didn't have it :sad: In hindsight, she is 4'8" and 91lbs, so not a lot of upper body strength. I probably should've just set it down, opened the door, and picked it back up, haha!

Last edited:

subaqua

What’s the point
Plugging an open ended flex on end of a 13A plug into a socket , switching on and trying to weld live to earth . I was 13 at time and was probably 1st electric shock I had . I still wonder how I ended up as an electrician ...

Soldering iron . Do not solder in shorts . And knock iron off desk onto leg. That took a long time to heal .

Jumped off wall in back garden onto price of timber to use it as a catapult/trebuchet . Landed on rusty nail ...

Pissed at a BBQ - making Guacamole . Instead of using length of blade thwacked into stone to destone the Avocado I used the pointy tip ... I have a wonderfully middle class scar in between the sinews/tendons/ muscles controlling 1st and second fingers on left hand . Point went all way through. I stitched it myself ...

Pissed at a BBQ - making Guacamole . Instead of using length of blade thwacked into stone to destone the Avocado I used the pointy tip ... I have a wonderfully middle class scar in between the sinews/tendons/ muscles controlling 1st and second fingers on left hand . Point went all way through. I stitched it myself ...
a friend, who is in plastics, refers to this as "avocado hand".

It's very common and nowhere near middle claaahs:tongue:

Top Bottom