Really daft things you've done that have resulted in injury

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've done a few, for example to pull out the rope I'd used to re- install my mini-metro engine I thought "if that slips I'll slice thr back of my hand on that sharp edge of body work". Still have rhe scars 30 years on. The lesson painfully and / or expensively learned on this ans too many other occasions is when the voice in your head says "oh, it'll be all right", then stop at once and do it the proper way. Almost always that thought has preceded a disaster

Dave 123

Legendary Member
13-14 at our caravan in North Wales. We were allowed to shoot on the farm.
I went for a wander with my air rifle. In one field was a muck spreader parked up. I'd not shot anything so I went for a bit of target practice on the tyre from about 10 yards away. I pulled the trigger, the next thing I know is the pellet pinged back and hit me in the forehead. It stung a bit!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
My after pub take away pizza hadn't been cut properly so I used a small sharp knife to do it right. Finished the pizza, closed the box and crumpled it up. The knife was still inside. One stabbed hand :cry:
Done something similar. On a weekend away I decided the cardboard and duck tape scabard for my kitchen knife was a bit manky so I binned it and put my best carbon steel Sabbatier knife loose in my food box. Carrying the cardboard box into our rented challet I though there's a sharp staple sticking out of this box. Dripping blood into the challet I realises it was in fact the end of my razor sharp Sabbatier which had sliced through bottom of the box

Mr Celine

Discordian
What was known locally as a bogie, some planks of wood and four pram wheels.
One of the wheels had pringled so the rear axle was replaced with one from a tricycle, including the sprocket which rotated about 5mm from the end of the bogie. This got me thinking while being towed along by a mate. The sprocket had a freewheel, so jamming something in it would cause a really cool skid. But which way did the sprocket freewheel?
Not having any suitable tools to hand with which to experiment I used a finger.
The nail did grow back, but still has an odd shape.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Tried to reverse a bike while astride it. Ended up a bruised and tangled mess.

Went out on an unfamiliar club's newcomers' ride one new year. Cold but trusted them to make the call at the start (ETA: some were riding in along the route and I wasn't). Nope. They rode on despite the ice. I ended up bruised with cracked handlebars.

Got away with one, though: stuck my foot out to avoid a falling knife damaging the floor. Thankfully, it was a proper cook's knife with a weighted handle, so spun handle down.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
About 15 years ago I was late for work. Mad dash in the bathroom...no time to shower, super quick wash, brush teeth, fumble toothbrush, drop it, curse under breath as I bend over sharply to pick it up off the floor...headbutt the rim of the sink, momentarily knock myself out, 2 beautiful black eyes. Told everyone I'd acquired the injury under cover fighting terrorists, but not sure I was believed.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Aged about twenty-five, I thought I'd take a short cut to the ski lift by nipping across the snow covered roof of a shepherd's hut. The drop into snow on the far side was only about three feet. The stabbing pain up my entire leg when I landed told me that I'd made the wrong decision. I missed an entire days skiing too. The clinic in Verbier enriched themselves. I gave up ski jumping right there and then.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I accidentally headbutted a kitchen cupboard when I stood up after connecting a washing machine below it. (I forgot that my sister had just had the cupboard moved from the opposite wall.) I think that I suffered concussion because I had headaches and felt groggy for a week.

Naturally, I rushed out the next day and cycled up a steep hill. I dismounted, felt rough, and came round several minutes later with a crowd around me and paramedics on their way ... :blush:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Trying to use the angle grinder to cut through a rusty bolt on the Land Rover chassis I lay on my back underneath and manouvered the grinder up into the space under the footwell so that I could grind with the blade downwards. I was wearing latex gloves so didn't realise that my finger was on the switch. Suddenly the grinder powered up to 15,000 rpm and I found myself juggling it in two hands, desperately trying to switch it off while not dropping it onto my chest. I got it switched off and as it slowed down it slipped out of my control and the still-spinning blade braked against the palm of my hand. Luckily the latex glove took some of the force and I ended up with nothing worse than a friction burn across my palm, which smarted for a few days.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
I was making a crib board at work years ago (We had a large engineering team and a constant crib league was always on the go) and was trying to Dowell two pieces of hardwood together to make a board long enough. The holes I drilled I found were slightly offset so I clamped one half in the vice and tugged on the other to separate them. Oooh, tight, pull harder....BANG...off it flew, straight into my lip, punching a tooth through the lip :ohmy::cry:

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
Eight years old, and playing on a cousin's swing. In front of the swing was a path made of paving stones with big gaps between them so it was a long stride (for a child) from one to the next.
The idea of the game was to get the swing moving, and then jump off and land on the first paving stone. Then do it again and land on the second stone, and so on.
I was aiming for the third stone. I landed on it, but my momentum caused me to fall forward and my forearm hit the edge of the fourth stone.
Broken ulna. My first ever bone fracture. I was in pot all through the summer holidays.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
[QUOTE 5206041, member: 259"]I really shouldn't be left alone with a soldering iron...[/QUOTE]
ah yes... I still have the scar. My attempt to remove a big blob of solder using the 'wrist flick' method resulted in the big blob of solder quickly dripping off the vertical iron onto the back of the hand holding it. Two lessons learnt; use less solder and wipe the excess off.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Slipped on water on the kitchen floor while filling the dishwasher, put out my hand to break my fall and ended up with a chef's knife stuck in the bone of my thumb from the cutlery basket. Pulled out knife and then fainted! Other than a painful thumb for a week or so, no harm done.

Found out afterwards that knife injuries from 'pointy end up' knives in dishwasher cutlery baskets are quite common and there have been fatalities. All knives go the other way up now in our household!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/may/29/kirstyscott

Top Bottom