Really good bright front and back lights for road cycling - preferably USB rechargeable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

xzenonuk

Veteran
Hi there

Can anyone recommend really good bright lights - front and back for road cycling (ones that I can strap onto the bike using the rubber strap thingy, rather than a fixed fitting). Preferably USB rechargeable.

Thanks

J

i use a set of these on my road and mtb bikes, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evolva-Fut...UTF8&qid=1512171441&sr=8-1&keywords=evolva+x5

liked them that much that i bought one for the road bike as well, never had a flat battery yet and i have been out for over 6 hours at a time, the back light included is bright but just a cheap add on, mine stopped working when i went to actually use it lol

front light is solid though one of the beams is dipped and you can have only one on or both and settings for each mode, plus apparently they are 2 samsung 18650's strapped together as one battery, never had a problem with them :smile:

you can bracket mount the front one or just do what i do and use the rubber strap :smile:

not obnoxiously bright but very bright on dark places i love it :smile:

Last edited:
I love a good lumens measurement myself.

I've a Light & Motion Urban 650 and find it dead on for dark commutes and rides around the 90 minute mark. It's light, usb chargeable and has a rubber strap thingy instead of a fixed mount.
why is the rubber strap "thingy" better than a fixed mount?

xzenonuk

Veteran

conveinence im guessing for removing the whole thing, so people can't steal it and more flexibility on moving it down or up which i do a lot on the one i recommended due to conditions im guessing :smile:

edit: i can easily move mine down or up thanks to been hooked up by a rubber strap, 1 min im on dark cycle paths and its more facing forward then next im going against traffic on a shared use path on a dark road so i flip it down takes like one second so as not to blind any drivers, cannot do that with a bracket unless you get one designed to go up and down.

Last edited:

NickNick

I picked up a Rays 150 from the LBS which is made by this co:
:
http://smart-bike.com/

Its pretty weak compared to what most of the other posters seems to have (150 lumens/25 lux), but it was the best one within my pretty tight budget (payed £24), its rechargeable and a hell of an improvement on the £4 light I've been limping by on. Its not going to light the whole road up, but it does a good enough job at making me visible. I do the bulk of my night time cycling on urban roads with lighting, but went out to take one of the dogs for a run round the local playing field with the bike and I was surprised to find out it also works adequately enough for me off road away from the street lamps. The way the mirror & lense in it work focuses the bulk of the light into a sideways rectangle shape which is surprisingly bright, really pleased for the money I paid. Will probably look to upgrade further down the line when I'm not quite as skint but its no longer an urgent upgrade.

Reactions: mjr
Don't know that light but I like smart front lights.

There's no need to pay any more than that for a light to be seen by so you are sorted.

Their AA battery lunar lights are also good, I have a few, though I fear that they will be discontinued. Too good, available too cheap.

Oh, the lunars are of course also rechargeable, with swappable batteries. New rechareable batteries/cells available all over the place for less than a fiver for two sets.

I'm using a Cat eye Volt 300 and 400 on the front, if I could only have one and was doing off roading it'd be the Volt 800.
On the rear I'm running a Nightrider sabre 80
Both of which are USB rechargeable.

Sixmile

Veteran

I like the convenience of the rubber strap. Takes second to remove and fit onto the thin flat bar or thicker drop bars or onto the helmet mount. I also dip the light up and down and will on occasions turn the light away from walkers or joggers coming toward me.

humboldt

Have always been concerned about them snapping/wearing, possibly because of my aversion to anything knog. A problem?
I think some rubber straps are better than others. Lezyne's are very thick and solid and I've never been worried about it snapping on my front light, plus the way it attaches means it can't ping off if you slip with your gloves or something. I have a Cateye on the rear and that band is pretty terrible I think - very thin, tight fit around the seatpost and I've already almost lost it once in the dark as it's not attached to the mount. Now I begrudgingly leave the mount attached and just unclip the light body when I get in. I carry a rubbish battery powered cheap rear light too just in case some joker ever steals the mount for the Cateye and I need to get home in the dark.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have just got a Moon Meteorx-auto (not the pro model).

It replaced a Moon XP300. It does not really have a good enough (claimed 320 lumen) beam for my unlit country lane commute so I am sending it back. The mount can either be left on the bike or taken off via the rubber strap.

It's quite small, seems to be well made, and weighs only 85g. I am now looking for something really rather bright to do the unlit lanes which can be switched to a less intense beam on lit roads.

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Hi there.

I've edited my post. Road cycling lights and the brighter, the better.

J
Why?

Less bright front lights with better focussed lenses deliver more usable light to the road surface that you actually need to see, and there is a point at which you have enough light to see by, at cycling speeds, without needing to turn the night into day.

Massively bright rear lights don't make any difference to other people seeing you and are just really, really hideous to ride, drive or walk behind.

Top Bottom