Really good bright front and back lights for road cycling - preferably USB rechargeable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there

Can anyone recommend really good bright lights - front and back for road cycling (ones that I can strap onto the bike using the rubber strap thingy, rather than a fixed fitting). Preferably USB rechargeable.

Thanks

J

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
:popcorn:

Road or off road
Batteries integrated or not
How bright do you want to go?

Jody

Stubborn git
You will get lots of recomendations for both. Really bright lights aren't needed for on road but if you go down the route of really bright cree type lights keep them pointed down near the front wheel so you dont dazzle people.

As for the rear I use a Lezynne Zecto which is good run times are about 6 hours on the mode I use and also a Knog Blinder The Face as a backup on eco flash mode which has really good run times for what it is (55 hours). Both are USB charge and use rubber straps to mount.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
B+M Cyo or maybe Iq. Axa Greenline. Probably others. Mostly German, mostly only available on import. They're measured in lux and I suspect you want at least 40 lux at the front if you travel at speed.

Much of what's sold in the UK is not sufficient to comply with the law for road vehicle lighting - typically, pathetic toy torches with O-shaped beams that waste much of their lumens trying to illuminate the sky if aimed horizontal, or if aimed down, give a rubbish spread of light too bright close to the bike. A lumens measurement is usually a sign that the lens is rubbish, as it measures the light at the source, not on the road. Even quite expensive lights sold to the UK market are only suitable for off-roading or are third-rate shoot, yet there are plenty of apologists for them - many of whom haven't tried a decent light, or haven't seen recent ones.

Sixmile

Veteran
I love a good lumens measurement myself.

I've a Light & Motion Urban 650 and find it dead on for dark commutes and rides around the 90 minute mark. It's light, usb chargeable and has a rubber strap thingy instead of a fixed mount.

Nibor

Bewildered
I have a Hope R2i very bright with loads of settings the rear ALDI rechargeable lights are bright and band on and really good I have 2

AlanW

Guru
Lumicycle, fully plug and play system so you can upgrade or add extra lights as and when you like

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I ride in the darkest of Denmark and it is pitch black when I go to work.

I wanted lights that I can charge up on the computer, with my power pack, or in the mains.

I bought them on Amazon UK. Here is the link.

On full power it lasts for 4 hours. I use it on middle power and it is plenty good enough for my 4am, 20km commute. The battery charges quickly as well. You can put it on and off the bike in a couple of seconds.

71wF7MYYTVL._SY355_.jpg

Roll over image to zoom in

Te-Rich USB Rechargeable Bike Lights, 1200 Lumens CREE XM-L2 Bright LED HeadLights Headlamp Waterproof Cycling Bicycle Lights with FREE Taillight Safety Rearlight (4400mAh Batteries Included)

Tangoup51

I Spent alot of time investing in bike lights, I found that they're three types of bike lights commonly available online and in stores.

1) Well made cheap lights (£15-30) - These are pretty average. - Not chinese stuff, these are found on Halfords especially. - Brightness is what people would call "enough" but not enough for my comfort on any decent speed on poorly lit roads. - Rear lights at this price however (just the rear) tend to be more than exceptional.

2) Chinese cheap lights. (£5-30) - These are exceptionally bright to an outstanding degree and reliability however is not as bad as you'd think, but for cycling specific lights of this kind, buying these lights tends to come with a catch - Most of the time, it's a battery pack made of the cheapest 18650 batteries you can call a "series" - or, dodgy chargers. Generally the lights are tip-top it's just the battery/charger thats flawed at this price point. (they have to cut corners.)

3) High end bike lights (£50-200) Most common on money-happy commuters and are from popular brands, these have the reliability and simplicity And good battery life, charging, etc - they tick all the boxes except for value for money.

There are other lights, but this is general assessment. -- I found no joy out of any of these methods and instead I went to buy everything separately. - I bought a torch that uses 4x 18650 batteries, (with a wide spread beam and about 3200 LM) the torch costs £20.00 - I bought the 4x 18650 batteries (From a very reputable and high-quality source) for £15.00 and a Very high quality battery charger. (£20.00)

Then, I went out and got myself a universal bike light clamp for £6.00 - It all went together very well for a reasonable price of £61.00 for something that now has insanely good battery life, power and simplicity.

comparsion.png

Top is the new torch (advertised 3,200 Lm) - Bottom is the old torch - I ditched because of its poor spread. (1,400 LM confirmed on that one)

Run times for the new torch are about 2.5-3 hours on full beam, 4+ For everything else. It's very high quality as the price I paid for it was just for the torch, nothing else.
Very happy with the results and this has been running for a very long time now.

stalagmike

Enormous member
I've got a lezyne 300xl on the front which does me fine for seeing with down dark country lanes when on top whack. Charge lasts for ages and is very solidly made. On the back I've got a PDW radbot 1w. Which can be seen from a long way off (I am told) and also does a crazy flashing mode for when you are riding in traffic and want to dazzle some drivers. Takes two triple As and seems to last for ages on them.

oldstrath

Über Member
Ixon Core from Rosebikes, about £40 delivered. Fine for most road use, but needs to be supplemented by a brighter light for gravel riding or such, and imo sometimes on road a "high beam" is useful.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom