Really good bright front and back lights for road cycling - preferably USB rechargeable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
Lumicycle, fully plug and play system so you can upgrade or add extra lights as and when you like

I had a look at them, as I was considering changing from my AyUps which are wasted on the road as you have to point them down to avoid blinding. They seem to have a decent optics with the beam shape truncated at the top. Do you find this in use?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Why?

Less bright front lights with better focussed lenses deliver more usable light to the road surface that you actually need to see, and there is a point at which you have enough light to see by, at cycling speeds, without needing to turn the night into day.

Massively bright rear lights don't make any difference to other people seeing you and are just really, really hideous to ride, drive or walk behind.

Agreed.

I had this to put up with the other day. His helmet light was steady and the seatpost light on pulsing strobe. I had to let him get well out of my line of vision before I could see properly.

dazzlingnobber.jpg

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I had a look at them, as I was considering changing from my AyUps which are wasted on the road as you have to point them down to avoid blinding. They seem to have a decent optics with the beam shape truncated at the top. Do you find this in use?
I fashioned some little hoods for my AyUps from plasticard and insulating tape, initially because I found they wrecked my night vision if I "honked", but I did find that they also helped with the dazzle and lack of cut off. Off-road I want the branches of the tree lit up, on-road, not so much.

Bodhbh

Guru
I fashioned some little hoods for my AyUps from plasticard and insulating tape, initially because I found they wrecked my night vision if I "honked", but I did find that they also helped with the dazzle and lack of cut off. Off-road I want the branches of the tree lit up, on-road, not so much.

I did the same. I don't think it's perfect - light from the bottom half of the LED housing gets reflected upwards anyhow - but looking at the profile on the side of the shed, it does tone it down a bit.
uVtgtwu.jpg

Less bright front lights with better focussed lenses deliver more usable light to the road surface that you actually need to see, and there is a point at which you have enough light to see by, at cycling speeds, without needing to turn the night into day..

Agree totally.You don't have to spend much these days to get a light which will light your way. So the manufacturers are set on building in obsolescence (built in batteries) and snaring those who bother about such things with the opportunity to play "mine is brighter than yours" games.

oldstrath

Über Member
Doesn't help this winter, but if you want a "really bright" front light that won't upset those who get annoyed about cycle lights
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ce-lightweight-long-lasting-bike-lig/comments

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I ride in the darkest of Denmark and it is pitch black when I go to work.

I wanted lights that I can charge up on the computer, with my power pack, or in the mains.

I bought them on Amazon UK. Here is the link.

On full power it lasts for 4 hours. I use it on middle power and it is plenty good enough for my 4am, 20km commute. The battery charges quickly as well. You can put it on and off the bike in a couple of seconds.

View attachment 384231
Roll over image to zoom in

Te-Rich USB Rechargeable Bike Lights, 1200 Lumens CREE XM-L2 Bright LED HeadLights Headlamp Waterproof Cycling Bicycle Lights with FREE Taillight Safety Rearlight (4400mAh Batteries Included)

Thanks for mentioning these lights. I bought a set for the unlit country lanes and am very pleased with it. I only seem to need low power most of the time. I have put inner tube strips around the battery to make it grippier, because I found it could migrate down my tapered top tube after a bumpy ride.

Glad you are happy but encouraged by the two positive comments on here I popped onto the amazon page - and in one of the Q&As even the suppliers say that they can't supply spare batteries.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Glad you are happy but encouraged by the two positive comments on here I popped onto the amazon page - and in one of the Q&As even the suppliers say that they can't supply spare batteries.
If I needed longer than the 12 hours on low/4 hours on high I think I could connect it to a power bank. Yet to try that but for my current purposes battery life has not proven to be any issue at all.

If I needed longer than the 12 hours on low/4 hours on high I think I could connect it to a power bank. Yet to try that but for my current purposes battery life has not proven to be any issue at all.
thanks for the reply. Yes you could but I have the impression that this is pushing USB mini/micro connections a bit. Not sure they are tough enough for regular use like that.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
thanks for the reply. Yes you could but I have the impression that this is pushing USB mini/micro connections a bit. Not sure they are tough enough for regular use like that.

The Te-Rich light has conked out. I can't get anything out of it. Have been in touch with the seller on Amazon, will see what they do. I think the battery is OK but the head unit is kaput.

Very decent of you to reply with the bad news.

For long lasting lights i would stick to conventional batteries and use rechargeables. They are being discontinued fast though so I have stocked up.

Usb lights have their uses, maybe for touring (with a battery light back up) but i wouldn't spend a lot. You don't have to. Some usb lights coming up at lidl very soon.

Edit

The llights .On the 26th
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=15694

Last edited:
Top Bottom