Really odd "I've got this mate" question.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
Seriously though, some good advice here. It's not necessarily that there's anything wrong with the saddle, he just needs to make sure that it's set up correctly and when he's riding that he's not sat too far forward as that could be causing the nose to be pressing on said area. Sit bones should be on the 'wings' at the back of the saddle which takes the pressure off everywhere else.

yello

I'd start by checking saddle height. It could be too high causing him to rock left-right with each pedal stroke and irritating sensitive parts. Or it might need to be set back a little more. A great deal depends on the saddle shape and how he sits on it. It might be that he only needs to find the right saddle position for that saddle to be comfortable.

So if your mate hasn't done so already then I'd certainly suggest he experiments with saddle positioning before buying a new saddle. It's an expensive game if you just start buying saddles hoping they'll fix the problem.

If there's no joy in any position then have him consider saddle shape. Obviously saddles vary; in flatness or roundedness, width varies at the rear and the nose. It might be that he'll get on better with a flatter saddle that has a narrower nose. Or maybe not. Sadly, there is a degree of trial and error but if you think about it first, the better your chances of buying the right saddle. Think about where the irritation is occurring and visualise what you'd have to change about your current saddle to reduce that irritation - then look for a saddle that matches that mental picture.

yello

Sit bones should be on the 'wings' at the back of the saddle which takes the pressure off everywhere else.

Without being critical, because lejogger's advice is sound, sit bone position is not the key for everyone, and also not the only factor. Again, it depends on how you sit on a saddle. Sit bones are more of a factor if you're more upright but if you're on the drops then there's some other bones (ischy something-or-others!) that are a factor too. That's where the width/shape of the saddle nose can come into play. Irritating the skin over these bones causes discomfort and can cause bursitis.

sidevalve

Über Member
I'd dump the Carrera saddle. Not sure what type it is but I borrowed a bike with one once and it HURT ! Wasn't untill I returned the owner admitted he was going to bin it as it hurt him too.

lejogger

Guru
I'm actually in the process of investigating saddles ATM for reasons of saddle sores and gooch sensitivity. The trouble is, it seems like it's such a massive job to get it right. I don't want to rush into something but it's physically impossible to test them without buying in most cases and I don't want to end up buying more than once and have the hassle of selling unwanted ones on.

I used to have an old selle Italia with a cutout when I first started riding and never had many issues but all my recent stock saddles in the bikes I've bought and the charge spoon I have don't have this feature. I'm therefore looking at the SI flite and max flite and also these noseless ITM jobbies. There's also the issue that they come in different widths too.

Maybe we should flag up the old saddle library thread as there's probably folks on here with all sorts knocking around in their garages gathering dust that could be used for trials.

yello

The trouble is, it seems like it's such a massive job to get it right. I don't want to rush into something but it's physically impossible to test them without buying in most cases and I don't want to end up buying more than once and have the hassle of selling unwanted ones on.

It is a real problem. It's such a shame that manufacturers can't make demo saddles available for trial purposes. The saddle library is such a good idea but it needs a decent stock, it takes people to be willing to donate/make available their old saddles.

It is a real problem. It's such a shame that manufacturers can't make demo saddles available for trial purposes. The saddle library is such a good idea but it needs a decent stock, it takes people to be willing to donate/make available their old saddles.

Some do. I was surprised to see a bright purple saddle on my Father-in-laws new brushed Ti bike, it looked horrendous! After asking him though, turns out our LBS holds 'test' saddle for certain manufacturers that they can put on, give you a week with and if you get on, come back, return the purple monstrosity and buy a new one in a proper colour. Seemed like a good idea, wish all the manufacturers took it up!

OP
OP
Raging Squirrel

Raging Squirrel

Well after telling him the good news today he was slightly embarrassed. He says he doesn't think the seat is too high, but then tells me he is over-stretching..... so I was lost there.

He's gonna try lowering it a CM or 2 and see how he gets on

lejogger

Guru
Well after telling him the good news today he was slightly embarrassed. He says he doesn't think the seat is too high, but then tells me he is over-stretching..... so I was lost there.

He's gonna try lowering it a CM or 2 and see how he gets on

Just my tuppence worth but if he's stretching then he could be inching forward too much onto the nose which is going to be putting too much pressure on that area.

Rather than lowering the seat he should be sliding it forward on the rails or looking at a shorter stem. Not only that, where you sit on the saddle becomes habit and he'll have to train himself to sit back rather just adjust the bike position and expect it to work immediately.

...providing this is the issue of course.

wisdom

Guru
Not really a saddle or cycle addition to this thread but my wife noticed the rower and commented about his obvious excitement at winning a medal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wacko:Maybe i'll take up rowing.
Did anyone notice the Norweigan runners trouser malfunction the other night?

sgtjiggy

Ouch! Here in the states we call that area "taint", taint the scrotum taint the arse-hole! Anyway I had a similar problem. Honestly thought I had major prostate issues. I had bruised that area and kept irritating every time I rode. I took two weeks off of riding, changed seats, wore thicker padded riding shorts and my problem was cured.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

On a woman that area is called the chinrest. ^_^

First thing I did was change the saddle on my new bike to one I know suits me. Keep meaning to sell the fizik arione that came with it. Might well be a cracking saddle but I never gave it a chance.

Top Bottom