Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
what was that all about?
Any more info?
No I haven't got any details. I found it on this site: https://www.thefactsite.com/100-strange-but-true-facts/

classic33

Leg End Member
Neil Armstrong and the Apollo 11 crew faced the real chance that they wouldn't return from the moon safely, leaving their families without financial support. Due to the extreme danger that they were about to face, they couldn't take out life insurance policies.

So instead, they signed hundreds of autographs, which their families would have been able to sell if they didn't make it home. Luckily, those life insurance autographs weren't needed. They do, however, show up in space memorabilia auctions today, selling for as much as $30,000.

classic33

Leg End Member
When you're flying, have you ever noticed that little hole in the bottom of your window and wondered what it's for?

That’s the breather hole, and besides keeping in warm air so you don’t get too chilly, it regulates pressure -- ensuring that should anything happen to the outer pane of the window, the pressure won’t cause the inner pane to break, at which point you’d suddenly be sucking in oxygen at 35,000 feet.

Consider it Phase 1 before you get to the masks.

classic33

Leg End Member
It's impossible to technically "die" on a plane...

It’s rare, but it does happen; sometimes a passenger kicks the bucket mid-flight, yet the flight crew cannot declare a person dead for legal reasons.

The most common thing done with corpses is to move them to an empty row. Where are there most often empty seats? Up in first class, of course. Pretty steep price for an upgrade, though on some airlines totally worth it.

classic33

Leg End Member
If you sneeze while traveling at 60 mph your eyes are closed for an average of 50 feet.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
The one that reliably does my head in: there are more stars in the universe than grains of sand on the earth.
Here's the video to do your head in by.....:okay:

My odd little Trekky factoids:

In 79 episodes & six movies, Captain Kirk never said 'Beam me up Scotty'. Popular misconception.
James Doohan (Scotty) & Kirk (Shatner) are both Canadian by birth.
Khan's line about not forgetting Chekhov's face in The Wrath of Khan is a classic error. Khan was in series 1 & Chekhov came in series 2. They never met on screen in the TV series.
Patrick Stewart tugging down his uniform continually was because the one-piece uniforms in seasons 1 & 2 were badly fitting. He kept doing it as a 'Captains mannerism' for the rest of the series despite later two-piece costumes.
Nichelle Nichols (Uhura), was on the verge of leaving the show but was persuaded to carry on by meeting a politician at a rally...Martin Luther King. He said he watched the show with his family.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Your ears are self-cleaning

The earwax inside your ears is actually made up of a combination of oil, sweat and dead skin cells. Earwax forms a barrier inside your ear canal and it helps to keep your ears clean. The earwax is sticky by design so it will trap debris and particles and protect your ears.

Think of your earwax as a filter between your ears and the outside world.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Your ears self-cleaning

The earwax inside your ears is actually made up of a combination of oil, sweat and dead skin cells. Earwax forms a barrier inside your ear canal and it helps to keep your ears clean. The earwax is sticky by design so it will trap debris and particles and protect your ears.

Think of your earwax as a filter between your ears and the outside world.
SPEAK UP - I CAN'T HEAR YOU! I THINK MY EARS ARE BUNGED UP WITH WAX...

(I actually think that they ARE. I'll try the warm olive oil technique to see if that can clear them out a bit.)

classic33

Leg End Member
SPEAK UP - I CAN'T HEAR YOU! I THINK MY EARS ARE BUNGED UP WITH WAX...

(I actually think that they ARE. I'll try the warm olive oil technique to see if that can clear them out a bit.)
You'll need to clear your filters you mean.

classic33

Leg End Member
There are actually two kinds of earwax – wet and dry. Wet earwax is more common among Caucasian and African people and is typically dark yellow and sticky. For those with East Asian or Native American ancestry, ear wax is typically light in colour, dry and flaky.

The consistency of your earwax will vary depending on your environment and diet. You may get darker wax if you work in a dirty environment. Wax that’s been in your ear longer will generally be darker because it’s trapped more dirt.

Top Bottom