Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I think it might have been on his Man From Auntie series. Weird how some stuff stays with you

Yes, I think you're right

classic33

Leg End Member
Relying on GPS to navigate destroys your innate sense of direction, a skill that took our ancestors thousands of years to develop and hone.

When areas of the brain involved in navigation are no longer used, those neural connections fade away via a process known as synaptic pruning.

classic33

Leg End Member
The brain in your head isn’t your only brain.

There’s a “second brain” in your intestines that contains 100 million neurons.

Gut bacteria are responsible for making over 30 neurotransmitters including the “happy molecule” serotonin.

classic33

Leg End Member
A normal process of releasing through the mouth air that accumulates in the stomach, thereby relieving distention. Upper abdominal discomfort associated with excessive swallowed air may extend into the lower chest, producing symptoms that suggest heart or lung disease.

Medical description of a burp

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The art of Rap Battles (poetic verbal abuse) was first recorded in 15th century Scotland and called Flyting. Although contestants attacked each other spiritedly, they actually had a professional respect for their rival’s vocabulary of invective and would often drink with the loser afterwards.

classic33

Leg End Member
Sir Christopher Wren’s first design proposal for Saint Pauls Cathedral was basically a giant pineapple?

Apparently, he saw pineapples as “a symbol of peace, prosperity, and hospitality” and thought it would be an excellent symbol for the city. Sadly it wasn’t approved so nowadays we have the regular old-fashioned St. Paul.

classic33

Leg End Member
Sir Christopher Wren’s first design proposal for Saint Pauls Cathedral was basically a giant pineapple?

Apparently, he saw pineapples as “a symbol of peace, prosperity, and hospitality” and thought it would be an excellent symbol for the city. Sadly it wasn’t approved so nowadays we have the regular old-fashioned St. Paul.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Moths can survive for months (or hatch out in the middle of winter) in 3/4-full domestic vacuum cleaner bags!

I discovered the unpleasant truth of that factoid this evening when I emptied a bag to try and find the battery compartment cover from my wireless mouse. I thought that I'd vacc'd it up but couldn't find it in the stinking, mouldy dog-hair, dusty, moth-infested mess. xx(

(And then I found it where I had already searched for it - down the side of the armrest on my sofa! :wacko:)

Kryton521

Über Member
Stegosaurus was extinct for 80 million years before T Rex evolved.
Humans are closer in time to T Rex than T Rex is to a stegosaurus.
That, for me, is beyond my imagination of time lapse. Like some amounts of money people acquire. Beyond my simple brains capability

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Anyone following Italian football ever wondered why the team in Genova is called Genoa?
(which is kind of like calling Firenze Florence, or, god forbid, Livorno Leghorn)
I did once watching the football results in Italy and no-one could tell me.
It's because the club, the fourth oldest in Italy, was founded by Brits.

As the Genoa Cricket and Football Club.

And the reason managers/coaches are often called Mister in Italian football is because of a bloke from Stockport, William Garbutt, an early renowned head coach at Genoa.

Top Bottom