Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hitler hated Jehovah's Witnesses for their refusal to help in his war effort.
Some 10,000 were incarcerated in various camps with up to 2000 dying.
They were given their own purple triangle to differentiate them from Jews and Gypsies.
Hitler never paid any income tax. He believed he was above such niceties.

classic33

Leg End Member
The inventor of the first bank-issued credit card was John Briggs, a banker from the Flatbush National Bank of New York. Introduced in 1946, the card was called “Charge-It.” The catch was that a user had to have an account at Brigg’s bank and purchases could be made only locally.

Technically, it was actually a charge card, because the bill had to be paid in full at the end of each month.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The inventor of the first bank-issued credit card was John Briggs, a banker from the Flatbush National Bank of New York. Introduced in 1946, the card was called “Charge-It.” The catch was that a user had to have an account at Brigg’s bank and purchases could be made only locally.

Technically, it was actually a charge card, because the bill had to be paid in full at the end of each month.
You were only allowed to spend $5 a day and it had to be in New York. It was the Flatbush City Limit.

Oh, my coat, how kind...

classic33

Leg End Member
In 1797, the British Clock Tax was introduced, covering all timepieces, including watches and clocks.

The annual tax rate was two shillings and sixpence for a basic watch, up to ten shillings for a gold watch. Clocks costing more than twenty shillings were rated at five shillings.

Funnily enough, people stopped buying watches…

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
In 1797, the British Clock Tax was introduced, covering all timepieces, including watches and clocks.

The annual tax rate was two shillings and sixpence for a basic watch, up to ten shillings for a gold watch. Clocks costing more than twenty shillings were rated at five shillings.

Funnily enough, people stopped buying watches…
Same as the window tax when people just bricked up unnecessary windows.

You could also add that there is still great debate about the Crucifixion. Many learned scholars feel the there was a serious massaging of events. Some say the the body was taken down with unusual haste, before death and it was spirited away. Three gospels would have us believe differently, but I tend to follow Mandy Rice Davies....they would say that, wouldn't they?
I really find the whole census episode hard to swallow. Why did eveyone leave their houses, farms, livestock, trade etc to travel to the location of their clan origin just so the Romans could count their property, lands, livestock and trade for purposes of taxation?
Sounds like a made up episode to shoehorn in a biblical prophercy post hoc.

The Book of Luke may or may not have been written by a guy called Luke between 75-90 AD and may have been based on previous written books supplimented by stories related by Paul who never met Jesus IRL.

Last edited:
I really find the whole census episode hard to swallow.
Without wishing to open up a can of worms I find the whole bible story/stories hard to swallow. Much of it appears to be what Trump would now call fake news, btu with 2000 years of indoctrination the belief in it will probably never change. A bit like the Koran?

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Without wishing to open up a can of worms I find the whole bible story/stories hard to swallow. Much of it appears to be what Trump would now call fake news, btu with 2000 years of indoctrination the belief in it will probably never change. A bit like the Koran?
I'd be interested in a new thread on holes in the bible. Am aware that it was somewhat cobbled together years later and hat there are, ahem, certain contradictions.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Think we might get into dangerous territory there. Probably best to leave well alone. (Although I do agree with you!)
It could be interesting if 'policed' properly and not allowed to have a dig at other peoples beliefs.
I was brought up to absolutely believe in it. In later life I came to realise that many of the important/vital verses depend on which so called expert you trust with the translation of dead languages.

classic33

Leg End Member
If you added up the mileage of the Tour de France and monitored the total sweat production, of one competitor throughout the entire event, one cyclist could accumulate enough sweat to flush a toilet 39 times.

Now imagine the total for the entire peloton.

Top Bottom