Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
The Hansom cab, pulled by a horse of course, came after the steam driven railway (previously railways had been pulled by horses)

Dave7

Legendary Member
They could probably sell the meat in China as well.
That is silly.
How could they get an elephant in one of those polystyrene trays ??
I suppose if there was no rice or noodles.........but even then it would be tight.

Dave7

Legendary Member
10 Most Powerful Animal Bites on the Planet
  • Saltwater Crocodile. Saltwater crocs have the highest bite force ever recorded. ...
  • Great White Shark.
  • Hippopotamus. Hippos are capable of biting crocodiles in half. ...
  • Gorilla. ...
  • Polar Bear. ...
  • Spotted Hyena. ...
  • Bengal Tiger. ...
  • Grizzly Bear.

Chris S

Legendary Member
The Messerschmitt 109s used in the Battle of Britain film were actually Spanish built copies (Hispano Aviación HA1112 Buchóns) powered by Rolls Royce Merlin engines. They were clearly distinguishable from the original by an air intake under the propeller.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The Messerschmitt 109s used in the Battle of Britain film were actually Spanish built copies (Hispano Aviación HA1112 Buchóns) powered by Rolls Royce Merlin engines. They were clearly distinguishable from the original by an air intake under the propeller.
And in the famous "Repeat please" scene, the last three "Hurricanes" in the flight are actually Messerschmitts.

View: https://youtu.be/yXf1bhEEXd0

Eziemnaik

Über Member
B52 first flight took place in 1952. It still is a workhorse of USAF. To put it in perspective Spitfire's first flight took place in 1936. If it had the same longevity as B52 it would still be used by RAF in 2004

Last edited:

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Instead of "Once upon a time..." Korean tales start with "When tigers used to smoke"
4bae3b09297292990b81f4a607de6b1f.jpg

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Water is seriously weird

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Jasper Carrot owned shares in the company that made Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.
He sold them for a reputed £10million.
Making him far more successful than any of the contestants.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Dead Rubber.
Liverpool played in the knockout stages of the champions league having already qualified.......so it was a dead rubber.
But.... where did the phrase originate ???
Apparently from a team card game, Rubber Bridge**. If one team has an unassailable lead it becomes a "dead rubber".
**there are similar named card games.

classic33

Leg End Member
The song "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" was originally a threat. This ever-popular song was originally sung, loudly and repeatedly, by crowds of rowdy, lower-class servants demanding booze from their masters... or else. (I.e. "We won't go until we get some!")

Top Bottom