Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
That poster is a fake. The Lion and Unicorn have been used on the United Kingdom's coat of arms since 1603:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lion_and_the_Unicorn
I couldn't really see the image - but from what I can see I would have expected more info on the source of the proclamation. And after a certain date, I don't know when though, it was a legal requirement to put the printer's details on such things.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
According to the National UFO Reporting Centre (NUFORC), an American non-profit organisation that has collected reports of unidentified flying objects since 1974, UFO sightings peak on July 4.
Several theories (theories I stress - this bit includes non established facts) have been put forward for this.
@ Aliens are patriotic americans keen to join in
@ Lots of July 4 activities take place outside
@ A lot of fireworks etc are set off on July 4 and these may be mistaken for UFOs
@ A lot of alcohol is consumed on July 4

Chris S

Legendary Member
View attachment 569611
What could have sent you to Australia in 1780's
I like clandestine marriage.
One wonders if down under is full of impersonators of Egyptians nowadays
That poster is a fake. The Lion and Unicorn have been used on the United Kingdom's coat of arms since 1603:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lion_and_the_Unicorn

19 Crimes is an Australian wine brand. The poster is a promotion.
https://tastingbook.com/p/19_crimes?language=en

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Memory jogged by an odd post in one of this nice place's more problematical/preachy bits.

Margaret Thatcher legalised heterosexual anal sex.

I can vouch for the accuracy of this because I am old enough to remember life before the cow and well remember as a very young thing reading in one of the funnier bits of a National Council for Civil Liberties book on civil rights that the pastime was legal for homosexual men over a certain age but not for heterosexual folks of any age.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Margaret Thatcher wasn't told to protect the integrity of the election (Trump take note) but a policy decision was made to tell QEII if he won. He didn't, fortunately for us all.
Well, not 'all' perhaps. 'Fortune' certainly smiled on many over subsequent years, but I don't think I'm the only person doubtful of the benefits bestowed on us by his adversary.

classic33

Leg End Member
Are you quoting them as authorities classic?
I may return to the jack jones charges.
More the way one paper is regarded as more trustworthy than another.

It should be remembered that Michael Foot won a libel case against one newspaper over their printing of the same story about the claims made against him.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
At 9.21pm and 21 seconds last night, it was the 21st second of the 21st minute of the 21st hour of the 21st day of the 21st year of the 21st century.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
More the way one paper is regarded as more trustworthy than another.

It should be remembered that Michael Foot won a libel case against one newspaper over their printing of the same story about the claims made against him.
On the related Jack Jones point I understand that MI5 gave him the all clear in 1970.

IF they were both soviet agents I trust their runner was given a bad review/sent for a refresher course in Siberia. Some other defector also claimed that Wilson was a soviet agent. I don't think that is given much credence.

classic33

Leg End Member
Lego makes more tires than Goodyear

On average, LEGO produces a whopping 318 million plastic tires a year, making that approximately 870,000 mini-tires a day. The Lego company produces these tires 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Ex goon Michael Bentine was a prime mover in the establishment of the SAS's anti terrorism unit.

At meeting at Paddington Green Police station to demonstrate his shooting skill, he apparently opened with "I vill now show you all my enormousveapon."

Top Bottom