Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Before toilet paper was invented, Americans used to use corn cobs

Alternatively, they’d use periodicals like the Farmers Almanac, which was designed with a hole so it could hang in outhouses.

Necessity is the mother of invention, after all.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Before toilet paper was invented, Americans used to use corn cobs

Alternatively, they’d use periodicals like the Farmers Almanac, which was designed with a hole so it could hang in outhouses.

Necessity is the mother of invention, after all.
Good use for a corn cob, horrible things, and if you eat then the end up pretty much the same anyway...

classic33

Leg End Member
Ever wondered how much the chemicals in your body are worth. This is a breakdown of the elements from which you are made, by percent.

Your Body Is Made Of:
  • 65, oxygen
  • 18, carbon
  • 10, hydrogen
  • 3, nitrogen
  • 1.5, calcium
  • 1, phosphorous
  • 0.35, potassium
  • 0.25, sulfur
  • 0.15, sodium
  • 0.15, chlorine
  • 0.05, magnesium
  • 0.0004, iron
  • 0.00004, iodine

Your body contains trace amounts of other elements, such as silicon, manganese, fluorine, copper, zinc, arsenic, and aluminum. The going rate for a body's worth of these elements: just 72p, bringing the total value up to approximately £12.34*.

*This is for the average sized human body.

rikki

Legendary Member
Ever wondered how much the chemicals in your body are worth. This is a breakdown of the elements from which you are made, by percent.

Your Body Is Made Of:
  • 65, oxygen
  • 18, carbon
  • 10, hydrogen
  • 3, nitrogen
  • 1.5, calcium
  • 1, phosphorous
  • 0.35, potassium
  • 0.25, sulfur
  • 0.15, sodium
  • 0.15, chlorine
  • 0.05, magnesium
  • 0.0004, iron
  • 0.00004, iodine

Your body contains trace amounts of other elements, such as silicon, manganese, fluorine, copper, zinc, arsenic, and aluminum. The going rate for a body's worth of these elements: just 72p, bringing the total value up to approximately £12.34*.

*This is for the average sized human body.
Percentages by mass or by mole?

CharlesF

Guru
Aha! Every day is a school day! Nothing sensible came up when I Googled it, but your addition is a big help.

classic33

Leg End Member
If two pieces of the same type of metal touch in space, they will bond and be permanently stuck together.

The effect is called cold welding. It happens because the atoms of the individual pieces of metal have no way of knowing that they are different pieces of metal, so the lumps join together.

This wouldn't happen on Earth because there would be air and water separating the pieces.

Dave7

Legendary Member
If two pieces of the same type of metal touch in space, they will bond and be permanently stuck together.

The effect is called cold welding. It happens because the atoms of the individual pieces of metal have no way of knowing that they are different pieces of metal, so the lumps join together.

This wouldn't happen on Earth because there would be air and water separating the pieces.
I don't doubt your post but my 1st thought was...... if that is true then why don't space rockets fuse into one big lump ?

Tenkaykev

Guru
I don't doubt your post but my 1st thought was...... if that is true then why don't space rockets fuse into one big lump ?
I had a look and found this :

How Does it Work?

Before cold welding can join two or more metals together, the oxide layers on the surfaces of the materials need to be removed. Most metals (under normal conditions) have an oxide layer on the surface that forms a barrier preventing the metal atoms from bonding. Once this oxide layer is removed, the metals can be pressed together under high pressures in order to create metallurgical bonds. The oxide layer can be removed using wire brushing, degreasing, or other chemical or mechanical techniques.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
The last person to perish at the hands of Nelson's flagship Foudroyant was a Mrs Bates of Manchester.

After a long history the ship was being broken up on the beach near Blackpool's north pier.

The wreckers, in pre H&S days, decided to use explosives to speed the process and the unfortunate day tripper on the prom was hit by a piece of debris.

Some of the wood panelling from the ship is said to be in the boardroom of Blackpool FC though I don't think this is absolutely certain.

Pic.

Tenkaykev

Guru

How Does it Work?

Before cold welding can join two or more metals together, the oxide layers on the surfaces of the materials need to be removed. Most metals (under normal conditions) have an oxide layer on the surface that forms a barrier preventing the metal atoms from bonding. Once this oxide layer is removed, the metals can be pressed together under high pressures in order to create metallurgical bonds. The oxide layer can be removed using wire brushing, degreasing, or other chemical or mechanical techniques.

How Does it Work?

Further reading reveals that dissimilar metals such as copper and aluminium can be cold welded. Any material with carbon in it cannot be cold welded.
https://www.twi-global.com/technical-knowledge/faqs/what-is-cold-welding#HowDoesitWork

Top Bottom