Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
what if you have two and one should die? Do you have to notify the authorities/tell a coroner?
There's rent a Guinea Pig services available, whilst you get a replacement.

As for enforcement and punishment, the cantonal veterinary services, which carry out animal protection checks, determine the penalties of non-compliance.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
What if your pig costs more (or less) than a guinea? :unsure::scratch:

OP
OP
Blue Hills
The first submarine to fire a live torpedo underwater was the Abdul Hamid of the Ottoman Navy.
Actually built in Barrow in Furness in 1880.
Steam powered it had to carry a lot of coal.
Apart from its world first, apparently not much cop and of little use in any sort of battle. Somewhat unstable, especially when, um, firing a torpedo.

The first submarine to fire a live torpedo underwater was the Abdul Hamid of the Ottoman Navy.
Actually built in Barrow in Furness in 1880.
Steam powered it had to carry a lot of coal.
Apart from its world first, apparently not much cop and of little use in any sort of battle. Somewhat unstable, especially when, um, firing a torpedo.

Genuine question: how did they stopper up the chimney when diving?

Dave7

Legendary Member
Who remembers Kardomah Cafes ? (You have to be of a certain age).
It was started in Liverpool by the Vey Bros who imported tea and coffee.
Early 1900s they were very popular with branches in many cities including Paris. They were a bit up market with string quartets.
By the 60s they were very popular with arty types and musiscians.
I am of that certain age and frequented some of the Liverpool branches early 60s.
From them on their popularity declined and now there is only one left and fittingly that is in Liverpool.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Genuine question: how did they stopper up the chimney when diving?
aha a practical, and pertinent, question from Germany.

According to wiki, not where I found out about this questionable tub, but where I did further "research":
"In preparation for the dive, the crew had to close the boiler and pull down the funnel. Air tanks that were pressurized while sailing on the surface were used to propel the boats a short distance under water, allowing them to remain submerged for only a few minutes."

So not a lot of use really :smile:

aha a practical, and pertinent, question from Germany.

According to wiki, not where I found out about this questionable tub, but where I did further "research":
"In preparation for the dive, the crew had to close the boiler and pull down the funnel. Air tanks that were pressurized while sailing on the surface were used to propel the boats a short distance under water, allowing them to remain submerged for only a few minutes."

So not a lot of use really :smile:

I suppose you could argue in a world that hadn't heard of submarines this could give you that important edge., although given ththe clanking, swearing and masses of bubbles caused by the operation of diving I doubt you'd be able to get far enough afterwards that people hadn't already heard you.

Dave7

Legendary Member
although given ththe clanking, swearing and masses of bubbles
Sounds like me when I fart in the bath :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Blue Hills

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=129kuDCQtHs

Springsteen took the line "dancing in the dark" from Ovid, a roman poet from two millenia ago, best known for "The Art of Love".
Banished by Emperor Augustus for works seen as scurrilous to a distant province halfway across Europe, he lamented that "writing a poem you can read to no-one is like dancing in the dark".

No truth though in tales that his priceless line from Born to Run " Just wrap your legs 'round these velvet rims
And strap your hands across my engines" was nicked from Jane Austen.

Once more with mum and, I think, "baby sis".

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7lfzARGXGw

Top Bottom