Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
The supermarket name Aldi comes from the first two letters of the the founders surname, and their method of operation.
Albrecht Discount store.
Albrecht Diskont

Chris S

Legendary Member
Elisabeth Schwarzkopf's name translates as 'Betty Blackhead'.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
"Reverend" is an adjective (meaning revered or respected), not a noun. A clergyperson is properly referred to as "The Reverend (name)", not simply "Reverend (name)"

classic33

Leg End Member
The late 1960s revamping of Wonder Woman as a mod-dressing, karate-chopping but non-superpowered feminist icon was directly modelled on Diana Riggs portrayal of Mrs. Peel in The Avengers.

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
I was just reading that (2016 figures) the city of Liverpool claimed 27.5% catholic** while 9% claimed to have no religion.
**the Catholic faith was the largest group.
Which makes me wonder what the other 60+% are.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Women’s Football - banned by the FA in 1921.

Chris S

Legendary Member
similar theme, I gather that until the end of 1971 women weren't allowed to go in wimpy bars alone after midnight.
The assumption being that any woman who did would be touting for trade.
I saw something about that on TV. Women by themselves were refused service in cafes after a certain time. I think it was just in London. Britain has come a long way in the last 50 years.

classic33

Leg End Member
Mattresses used to be secured on bed frames by ropes. When you pulled them the mattress got firmer, hence the phrase “Goodnight, sleep tight”.

Rumour at the time was that Diana Rigg turned the part down and they chose Linda Carter because she was almost a clone. Looks, build etc. were almost identical. Of course she came a lot cheaper too!

Top Bottom