Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Romans would crucify dogs while geese sat upon purple and gold pillows and watched. This was because when the Gauls attacked Rome in 390 BC the geese raised an alarm while the guard dogs were silent.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Regarding wine tasting, read up on the Brochet experiments, one where experts described red-dyed white wine as if it was really red, “well Oaked” another where mid range wine was described according to the label, so for instance in a table wine bottle it was weak and insipid, with an expensive label it was miles better.
Back when I cared about such things the weight of the bottle got very special consideration, wine in heavier bottles was seen as better, but too heavy and transport costs go up, as well as the price of bottles.
No chance of mis-identifying my home-made wine; it's all filth.

classic33

Leg End Member
If sunrise and sunset were measured using the same means, the length of the day would differ by approximately nine minutes.

classic33

Leg End Member
A Rare Astronomical Phenomenon of Three Planets Aligning Occurs Today.

Early Thursday morning (06:57:49 GMT), an extraordinary site will unfold in the sky. Three planets, Jupiter, Saturn, and Mercury, align in their their orbits, temporarily counteracting and lessening the Earth's gravity. You might experience a short period of light headedness, or a sensation of floating. This "planetary trio" will also be in conjunction with a waning crescent.

Planetary conjunction occurs when multiple planetary orbits line up. NASA reports in a statement, "Jupiter and Saturn appear so close to each other that they will resemble a giant star in the sky in what's known as The Great Conjunction". The last time this happened was 400 years ago.

Mercury, the smallest planet in our solar system, is difficult to spot with the naked eye because of its size and proximity to the sun.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
The 1916 Easter Rising in Ireland, remains the only uprising where notification of it taking place, was done via an advertisement in a newspaper

classic33

Leg End Member
If a Polar Bear and a Grizzly Bear were to mate, their offspring would be called a “Pizzy Bear”.

The first movie ever to put out a motion-picture sound track was Snow White and the Seven Dwarves.

The tongue is the only muscle in the human body that is attached at one end.

Tribansman

Veteran
Couth, ruly, ept, wieldy, persona grata, pecunious, gruntled, kempt, consolate...

...are all 'lost positives', previously in common use but now only living on in their negative form

Chris S

Legendary Member
If a Polar Bear and a Grizzly Bear were to mate, their offspring would be called a “Pizzy Bear”.

Shouldn't that be a Prizzly Bear?

891f8cbd7d4da47c5b2511e28c3a274e.jpg

OP
OP
Blue Hills
During the peak years of english piracy in 17th century, pirates ships were almost exclusively homosexual

The source for this factoid is apparently a book called:

Sodomy and the pirate tradition

I haven't read it though - it was referenced in something else I was reading.

Seevio

Guru
Couth, ruly, ept, wieldy, persona grata, pecunious, gruntled, kempt, consolate...

...are all 'lost positives', previously in common use but now only living on in their negative form
As far as I could tell, ruly and unruly are not opposites and have different origins.
Ept and gruntled are words created in the 1930s - The in- and dis- parts of inept and disgruntled respectively, are not prefixes but part of the root word. Gruntled, in particular, should be used more often.
Persona grata is literally acceptable person in latin. If, for some obscure reason, you ever wanted to say that in latin, those are exactly the words that you'd use.

Top Bottom