Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
In 1901, King Edward VII decided to invent his own time zone at the royal estate of Sandringham in Norfolk. The King, an avid fan of hunting, ordered all clocks on the estate to be set to ‘Sandringham Time’ – half an hour ahead of GMT – in order to squeeze in an extra 30 minutes of his favourite pastime each day.

Tribansman

Veteran
The logo for the new Northern Independence Party contains a whippet :laugh:

In 1901, King Edward VII decided to invent his own time zone at the royal estate of Sandringham in Norfolk. The King, an avid fan of hunting, ordered all clocks on the estate to be set to ‘Sandringham Time’ – half an hour ahead of GMT – in order to squeeze in an extra 30 minutes of his favourite pastime each day.

Why didn't he just get up at a different time?

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Blue Nun wine was launched, to mega success for a while of course, by an ex american spy and spymaster, Peter Sichel.

No evidence that he had been turned though and that it was all a soviet/east german plot.

Tribansman

Veteran
Blue Nun was also the name of a (distinctly average) racehorse - a bay mare - in the early 2000s; and Heston Blumenthal once blind taste tested pretentious city traders, who were unable to tell the difference between sparkling Blue Nun (with added bubbles via a soda stream) and expensive champagne :laugh:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Blue Nun was also the name of a (distinctly average) racehorse - a bay mare - in the early 2000s; and Heston Blumenthal once blind taste tested pretentious city traders, who were unable to tell the difference between sparkling Blue Nun (with added bubbles via a soda stream) and expensive champagne :laugh:
that is probably more a reflection on city traders than the quality of the blue nun. I must confess to having drunk a bottle or two before I knew better.
You can still buy Blue nun, although the wine is now different to what it was in the 80s, the "brand" has been sold on and the "recipe" changed a bit to reflect current tastes....

Tribansman

Veteran
that is probably more a reflection on city traders than the quality of the blue nun. I must confess to having drunk a bottle or two before I knew better.
You can still buy Blue nun, although the wine is now different to what it was in the 80s, the "brand" has been sold on and the "recipe" changed a bit to reflect current tastes....
Yeah, but there is a ridiculous amount of snobbery about wine and so much is about expectation. Another blind tasting showed professional wine tasters unable to tell the difference between red and white wine, when served at the same temperature!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Yeah, but there is a ridiculous amount of snobbery about wine and so much is about expectation. Another blind tasting showed professional wine tasters unable to tell the difference between red and white wine, when served at the same temperature!
Apparently if you simply tell someone the wine is 3 times more expensive than it is they will subconsciously like it more. Pathetic really.

Regarding wine tasting, read up on the Brochet experiments, one where experts described red-dyed white wine as if it was really red, “well Oaked” another where mid range wine was described according to the label, so for instance in a table wine bottle it was weak and insipid, with an expensive label it was miles better.
Back when I cared about such things the weight of the bottle got very special consideration, wine in heavier bottles was seen as better, but too heavy and transport costs go up, as well as the price of bottles.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Regarding wine tasting, read up on the Brochet experiments, one where experts described red-dyed white wine as if it was really red, “well Oaked” another where mid range wine was described according to the label, so for instance in a table wine bottle it was weak and insipid, with an expensive label it was miles better.
Back when I cared about such things the weight of the bottle got very special consideration, wine in heavier bottles was seen as better, but too heavy and transport costs go up, as well as the price of bottles.
I recently saw a program where the Australian wine was shipped in the hold of container ships inside what were in all practicality giant plastic bags such as those inside wine boxes.

Top Bottom