Rear Brompton lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidsw8

I've been on the lookout for a new rear light for my Brompton, the Brompton brand ones I bought with the bike are fine on the front but the back one is really low down and to replace the batteries you have to unscrew the 2 tiny screws at the front - such a poor design for a brilliantly designed bike.

I need one that doesn't interfere with the fold and so far I've found the Knog Skink rear light which looks pretty good. It looks like you just clip it on and take it off each time but one that you can leave on would be preferable.

Any ideas?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've been on the lookout for a new rear light for my Brompton, the Brompton brand ones I bought with the bike are fine on the front but the back one is really low down and to replace the batteries you have to unscrew the 2 tiny screws at the front - such a poor design for a brilliantly designed bike.

I need one that doesn't interfere with the fold and so far I've found the Knog Skink rear light which looks pretty good. It looks like you just clip it on and take it off each time but one that you can leave on would be preferable.

Any ideas?
Sorry no. I was too busy laughing at the statement in bold.... Brompton's 'design' concept is riddled with poor design details and execution.

...I make do with a B&M rear mounted too low to be useful and a Cateye SL-110 on the seat post (and another on my helmet if I'm wearing one)

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Sorry no. I was too busy laughing at the statement in bold.... Brompton's 'design' concept is riddled with poor design details and execution.

...I make do with a B&M rear mounted too low to be useful and a Cateye SL-110 on the seat post (and another on my helmet if I'm wearing one)

lol horses for courses I guess - I think the Brompton is the best of the folding bikes out there and have only come across this one problem in the last year or so...

Yeh, I use the too low light, a rear froglight on the helmet and another froglight on my backpack - I'd rather a proper bike fitted one though and that Knog Skink I looked at earlier apparently doesn't work so well in the wet!?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Sure the B is the best folder; that's why I own one, but a lot of the details; brake levers, lack of height marking on seat posts, restricted and inappropriate permanent light options apart from dyno, weird six speed shifting, and clamps that spin round and round, and those GODAWFUL glued on handlebar grips that must cost at least 50p a pair, suggests design gets sacrificed for the sake of expediency and backwards compatibility.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Sure the B is the best folder; that's why I own one, but a lot of the details; brake levers, lack of height marking on seat posts, restricted and inappropriate permanent light options apart from dyno, weird six speed shifting, and clamps that spin round and round, and those GODAWFUL glued on handlebar grips that must cost at least 50p a pair, suggests design gets sacrificed for the sake of expediency and backwards compatibility.

When I first got on a Brommie, what struck me was how cheap the gear shift looked (I'm on a 3-speed) but never had a problem with it in practice. As I have the seat at the highest point, I don't need a height marking but that's definitely a very valid point. Also, regarding the clamps, very good point - wonder why they aren't fixed? I mean it's not much of an effort in terms of the folding but yeh, it is a bit of an odd one...

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
On my Birdy, I fettled a little metal brace bar I had into a little extension that bolted into the back saddle clamp and held a standard seatpost mounted light at the other end, snapping off the round seatpost bit for streamline effect, so there was just the bolt bit gripping the other end of the bracer bar. It gave me a normal height frame fitted rear light that was still tucked under the saddle so didn't get in the way of the fold nor protrude from the folded package.

If I recall the Brommy seat clamp is much the same convoluted type as the Birdy so has potential to put a bar bit in directtly adjacent to the bolt head before reassembling the rest of it.

gotta be honest too, I much prefer the design and thought that goes into the Birdy over Brompton, sadly the astronomical price difference negates all of the performance advantages

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man

While I'd agree about brake levers, grips and even the unmarked seatpost I struggle to condemn the other stuff.

The six speed is perhaps less than intuitive but not difficult to learn. Certainly no issue in the urban accelerate>stop> accelerate routine. Finger tweaking the clamps to line them up is intuitive and not something I've even thought about in 14yrs of ownership. There's such a good range of clamp on LED lights now, including the 'backupz' type that sit on the seat post at rear to supplement the standard rear and any number of Cateye's etc for the front that permanent's just not an issue. A single set of batteries runs my rear all winter.

Sara_H

Guru
I keep a seatpost bag on my folding bike and just put a light on to the bags loop.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
The only things I've changed on my 2 bromptons and ones I've had in the past are...

Grips
Added bar ends
Saddle
And the pedals

On my hill climber I've added a schlumpf as I don't rate the BWR.

Everything else is fine including the brakes and I live in a very very hilly wet area and I'm no lightweight.

The best lights by far for the Brompton are the dynohub's options...amazing output for very little drag.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The only things I've wanted to change on either of my Bromptons have been the saddle and the bottle dynamo. Each time I've put on a dynohub. In typical Brompton territory - with streetlights - I don't feel I need anything other than the dyno rear light except that the standlight has stopped working, and I feel a bit vulnerable without a rear light when I'm stopped at traffic lights. So I got a basic Knog LED light for about a tenner and fixed it to the seatpost. It doesn't interfere with the fold and is there when I need it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Would be hard to make them much worse ;)

Agreed, although there is a reasonable amount of pull from the brakes if they are properly adjusted.

The Brommie dealer told me the chainset is 'new' as well, hard to tell if that's an improvement just by looking at it.

Handlebar grips look nicer, but your 'hard to make them much worse' comment applies.

Top Bottom