Rear Derailleur. Will I be Shunned?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Not entirely serious here, but is there any reason I shouldn't?

I mean, a mountain bike mech on a road bike!! Burn him! I have a couple of other choices.
A very nice Mavic job. Trouble is, it will be used in all weathers and that particular mech operates on a weird circlip spring loaded gizmo that never fails to nearly remove a finger every time I try to fit it.
A Shimano 600 SIS. Very light and very short caged. This is my 'old geezer' cassette with a huge 25 tooth large sprocket and I think it struggles slightly on the occasions I need it.
Nothing needs to index and I quite like the look of the old XT. It is one of the old short cage versions.

What I really want is an old Dura Ace mech like @fossyant used to have as an avatar. Until then though, what about this one?

All uphill

Still rolling along
Break the rules!

Be a rebel!

Express your individuality!

No one will notice or care. Probably.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not entirely serious here, but is there any reason I shouldn't?

View attachment 524283

I mean, a mountain bike mech on a road bike!! Burn him! I have a couple of other choices.
A very nice Mavic job. Trouble is, it will be used in all weathers and that particular mech operates on a weird circlip spring loaded gizmo that never fails to nearly remove a finger every time I try to fit it.
A Shimano 600 SIS. Very light and very short caged. This is my 'old geezer' cassette with a huge 25 tooth large sprocket and I think it struggles slightly on the occasions I need it.
Nothing needs to index and I quite like the look of the old XT. It is one of the old short cage versions.

What I really want is an old Dura Ace mech like @fossyant used to have as an avatar. Until then though, what about this one?

Good mechs the XT's. Will give you a slightly wider gear ratio option.

My lovely DA 7400 mech, only has a maximum of a 24t rear sprocket.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Break the rules!

Be a rebel!

Express your individuality!

No one will notice or care. Probably.

I once had an XT derailleur (bottom normal!) fittied to my Giant Defy in 2010 (with a 9 speed 11-32 cassette), and on a particularly hilly sportive one rider noticed and shouted "ee's cheatin! look at that rear mech", these days road derailleurs routinely cover extreme cassette sizes so it's not really unusual at all, and given the impossible range of different niche bicycle configurations around, from road race, endurance, gravel, cyclocross, adventure, touring, no-one will notice.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Horror of horrors I’ve got a Deore rear mech and chainset on my gravel bike.
I put an XT rear mech on my CX bike so I could use a 12-36 cassette...

Do whatever you like, as long as you can afford it, it is safe, and it works! :okay:

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Out of curiosity, I once stuck a Benelux Mk VII or thereabouts on my bike just to see what it was like. Within its limits of throw and wrap-round it actually worked reasonably well. When you look through those old pictures of pre-Campag Gran Sport Tours, the admiration is definitely increased. Running this Shimano for a few weeks is bound to teach you something, well worth the try.

jaycee

Just do it , I tried a Deore '9speed' derailleur on a 10 speed and on an 11 speed road bikes with wide spread cassettes , loved it so much it's still on there AND I use SPD pedals and cleats , the shame ........

Top Bottom