Rear derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

OK - I get it now. The point's still eluding me a bit though, I have a box of nitrile gloves that cost a couple of quid & a chainkeeper bodged from an old hub & cassette, which let me do the same thing without getting my hands dirty or risking bending my rear mech.

I do like a gadget though - am I missing something?
It can be handy too for transporting the bike, mine I have to strip both wheels off so this will help keep the chain from rattling on the frame. Also it’s good for cleaning the rear pulleys, if I ever get round to it as with out the wheel in the wheel it holds the chain tight and you can easily clean them whilst spinning the pedals

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

You've just cost me €85.71.

I went from "What's the point of that - it's hardly difficult!" to "What a useful, and allegedly well made, tool in multiple ways!" over the course of watching the videos on their web site and reading reviews.

That said, I can see the potential for bending a derailleur hanger, though I found no reports of people doing so when reading third party reviews.
Just check when you first fit it, if it’s not quite on the derailleur then you need to change down to a smaller cog on the back, I’m now on the 3rd from smallest whereas the instructions tell you to use the 6th. Customer service was really good from them and they’ve never heard of it bending anything, again it could’ve been me knocking the bike on the kickr whilst playing about so wouldn’t judge the tool off my feedback fully

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have rediscovered on my recently reacquired 90s Saracen MTB that it has a small stud on the driveside seatstay which is intended to hold the chain during wheel removal/fitting. A small but useful detail.
Comme ça…
49195130-87FD-47ED-9AE5-C2A14638B79C.jpeg

45E991B6-711F-46BF-B213-873553570DA0.jpeg

What a great tool ! (Mine arrived today.)

No, I certainly did not 'need' it, but being able to fix the chain completely clear of the cassette is indubitably useful in numerous ways and the tool is well made, easy to use, and seems very sturdy. So thanks to @Daninplymouth for the inadvertent tip :smile:

Top Bottom