Rear derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daninplymouth

Hi, been playing around with my rear wheel then noticed my gearing was a bit off. Does my derailleur look bent? If so which way do I need to adjust it?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Adjustment guide and video here is a good resource

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-adjustment

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

It’s not so much the adjustment as the bike was running perfect. I was then playing around moving the rear derailleur as I just got a chainlift tool however it wasn’t set up right at first. Then after I noticed I had lost the ability to get to the smallest gear, I could get on it using the di2 trim adjust but had to make a large change. So was wondering if I had bent the hanger slightly whilst getting used to the tool

Mike_P

Guru
Could be the cage holding the pulley wheels in place rather than the hanger. Nominally easy to straighten once you have dismantled or you can usually get a spare outer part which you can they use to line up the fixed inner part.

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

Is this the tool you haven't been able to do without? Maybe return the RD to the position before you started 'playing around'.
https://eu.chainlift.com/pages/how-to-use-chainlift
That’s the one yes chainlift. I was playing around removing the wheel and swapping to the trainer quite a few times so I could have knocked it on this. But at first the tool wasn’t set correctly on my derailleur so wonder if I pushed it at an awkward angle. After I I had finished I noticed I couldn’t get onto my top gear and could only do so by moving the trim adjusters quite a bit which says to me something got moved

si_c

Guru
That’s the one yes chainlift. I was playing around removing the wheel and swapping to the trainer quite a few times so I could have knocked it on this. But at first the tool wasn’t set correctly on my derailleur so wonder if I pushed it at an awkward angle. After I I had finished I noticed I couldn’t get onto my top gear and could only do so by moving the trim adjusters quite a bit which says to me something got moved
Sounds to me like the derailleur hanger has been bent. A more likely scenario than the derailleur being bent in my experience.

Ajax Bay

Guru
"the bike was running perfect. I was then"
Doesn't seem likely (to me) that a bent hanger would result from:
"playing around moving the rear derailleur . . . it [?] wasn’t set up right at first. Then after I noticed I had lost the ability to get to the smallest gear"
But this is Di2 stuff and maybe, @si_c you recognise the symptom.

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

"the bike was running perfect. I was then"
Doesn't seem likely (to me) that a bent hanger would result from:
"playing around moving the rear derailleur . . . it [?] wasn’t set up right at first. Then after I noticed I had lost the ability to get to the smallest gear"
But this is Di2 stuff and maybe, @si_c you recognise the symptom.
It would have been set up right Iv not long had it back from being serviced and set up, this is when I took notice of what my di2 trim was -2. When I was getting to grips with the chainlift after trying a few times I realised it wasn’t pushing my derailleur straight back, have made a tweak now so it works fine but then after refitting the wheel I couldn’t get to top gear. I can now use all my gears but have set my trim to +14 so that’s quite a change so guessing something had bent something and wasn’t sure if you’d be able to tell from the photo. Will take a closer look at the hanger when later

Xipe Totec

Frrrg rrrrf yrrrr crrrnds
Apropos of nothing (or, considering the context, possibly everything) what the hell's a 'chainlift tool'? Never heard of this before, despite being across most cycling gadgetry. Looked at the website and I'm none the wiser.

Alex321

Veteran
Apropos of nothing (or, considering the context, possibly everything) what the hell's a 'chainlift tool'? Never heard of this before, despite being across most cycling gadgetry. Looked at the website and I'm none the wiser.
I'd never heard of it either. It looks like it is just something to stop you having to manually handle the chain when removing/refitting the rear wheel.

You've just cost me €85.71.

I went from "What's the point of that - it's hardly difficult!" to "What a useful, and allegedly well made, tool in multiple ways!" over the course of watching the videos on their web site and reading reviews.

That said, I can see the potential for bending a derailleur hanger, though I found no reports of people doing so when reading third party reviews.

Xipe Totec

Frrrg rrrrf yrrrr crrrnds
OK - I get it now. The point's still eluding me a bit though, I have a box of nitrile gloves that cost a couple of quid & a chainkeeper bodged from an old hub & cassette, which let me do the same thing without getting my hands dirty or risking bending my rear mech.

I do like a gadget though - am I missing something?

OK - I get it now. The point's still eluding me a bit though, I have a box of nitrile gloves that cost a couple of quid & a chainkeeper bodged from an old hub & cassette, which let me do the same thing without getting my hands dirty or risking bending my rear mech.

I do like a gadget though - am I missing something?
For me - and I'm perfectly happy removing and replacing a rear wheel whilst wearing nitrile gloves - it's the same set of benefits as a chain keeper, with the added benefits of making the wheel in/out bit a little easier too. Plus, and this is a big one, it provides the ability to spin the wheel freely to listen for bearing and disc brake issues without chain / freehub noise. It's like being able to take the chain off without actually doing so. And I can see how it might be possible to bend the hanger and I'm confident I can avoid that now that I've recognised how to do it.

Top Bottom