MTB's without front derailleur, When/Why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Weight and cost certainly isn’t a strong argument for 1X.

I would agree, I have a 1X10 on my gravel bike so can run regularly priced cassettes (38 x 11-34). Its set up as 1X with a bar end shifter running TPR hylex hydro brakes as a cheaper way to have drop bar hydro brakes (as TPR don't do a brifter) vs Shimano SRAM Campag hydro gravel offerings.

it could of course easily be run as 2X10 with a LH bar end shifter too....

.....drifting OT given the "MTB" in the title

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Elisa Longo Borghini managed to win Saturday's edition of Paris - Roubaix with a single chainring setup, so they can't be all that bad.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Hilly parcours, was it?
That's the whole point, it's horses for courses and not every ride encompasses a mountain range. When I wore a younger man's clothes I raced a few times in hilly Kent on 52/42 with a 14-21 five speed block, more or less standard back then even in the pro ranks. A modern 12 speed setup with a 50t chainring and an 11-27 cassette will give both a higher top gear and a lower bottom than I had then, plus two extra gears.

simongt

Guru
We were on holiday in Tunisia in 2000 and noticed a lot of budget MTBs about, but nearly all had the rear mech removed - ! ^_^

That's the whole point, it's horses for courses and not every ride encompasses a mountain range. When I wore a younger man's clothes I raced a few times in hilly Kent on 52/42 with a 14-21 five speed block, more or less standard back then even in the pro ranks. A modern 12 speed setup with a 50t chainring and an 11-27 cassette will give both a higher top gear and a lower bottom than I had then, plus two extra gears.

Indeed!

(although also worth pointing out that a road-race team went bust last year (or 2020?) after a season of having a 1x groupset forced on them.

ok, ok, ... that's not why they went bust :P )

Top Bottom