Rear-ended by a bus, my fault apparently!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Well done for forcing them to pay up and acknowledge their liability. Twunts.

OP
OP
TwickenhamCyclist
Bank the cheque and write a really snotty letter to them !

If their claims person was being professional, he'd say they are sending you a cheque for the damage, but that is not an admission of liability. Simples...........

Your right – but it’s a funny old world – seen this a lot in much bigger and far more serious cases – where a huge amount of damages are paid without the party paying accepting any liability for their actions – would accepting a payment in such circumstances void any further claim by the injured party? – or is it simply a case of the payee paying up to avoid more potentially damaging and costly action against them?

I see it as a tacit acceptance of guilt myself…

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It's not so much an acceptance of guilt as an acknowledgement that £70 is a lot cheaper than having to go to the effort of fighting it in court.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
One of my favourite topics - yer insurance companies. Remember that insurance has nothing really to do with right and wrong. When an incident occurs, their only interest is minimising their losses. Somewhere at the insurance company they'll be a spreadsheet that balances the total cost of different courses of action. So for example, the cost of turning up to the small claims court might be more than £70, so try and spend five minutes trying to scare the claimant (cost negligible) and then pay up. For my claim (£3000 in total) I was accused of reckless cycling (offer = nil) , then lack of observation (offer = £1000, 50/50 responsibility) and then not wearing a helmet and hi-viz (contributory negligence, offer = £2000). At each point, you could almost hear them tap in the numbers to calculate what to do next. If they thought it would help save money, I'm sure they'd finger me for 9/11 and the Rape of Nanking.

I effectively did the same thing as Twickers (through a solicitor as the numbers were over the small claims limit) and invited them to court so the magistrate could view the footage. Costs of proper court vs chance of winning vs £3000, the spreadsheet turns red and they pay up.

Although right and wrong are secondary in all this, evidence is key. Strong evidence (in my case having a video) tips the probability of winning a case towards you, which in turn sets the ceiling where the insurance will decide to fight or pay. Evidence the other way, like the colluding drivers in this case, makes the insurance a little more bullish. It doesn't matter that this evidence is BS - it's mud to sling.

nasserblue

Just to add to what others have said.

Please please please report this. The bus companies, in my very limited experience, are very good about chasing this up. Both drivers need to be "educated".

nasserblue

Well now I've got to the end of the thread I can see there was a an ending.

And now I've read a bit more I've edited my reply.

That's the problem it's a lot of hassle for £70. On the other hand that is the cost of a new wheel. And although the insurance company were arses, we hope the bus drivers will drive a bit more considerately next time.

The problem with injuries is that they can be painful at the time, but prove to be nothing later.

If you had perhaps jarred your thumb, twisted your ankle etc then the PCSOs would have had an injury accident and been forced to take action, including formal statements

If the injury proved to be better or worse later then it is hardly your fault

Peter10

I would have made an official complaint about the driver to TFL. If there was damage to your bike, you could request for TFL (or whoever runs the buses) to pay the damage for repairs, or if they refuse, take the driver to county court.

What I will add, is that PCSO's don't get involved with traffic at all (unless a traffic PCSO) so generally can't always give you the best reply, Not their fault, it's like asking someone to jump out of a plane who hasn't been trained to do it, however these ones seemed to be spot on with how the dealt with it. If it ever happens again and you want to take it further request that they ask for a police officer to attend.

From what you have described, It was the bus drivers fault. If you had stopped in an emergency (i.e a kid ran out into the road) any vehicle behind you should be a safe distance behind you to stop safely also. The bus was too close to you for the driver to react to your action. I notice this with buses a lot when they are so anxious to pass they get right up behind you. What is worrying, is if you fell off your bike, it may not have been the back of the bike they hit but rather you.

Ask any experienced policeman what they think of PCSOs - off the record of course.

They will tell you they are ****ing useless and at best a liability.

They are basically 'cub scout' police - not competent enough to be real police, and no career path. Although ones in the Met get 28k, which is more than I earn :bravo:

As for this statement, you are totally ignorant. You obviously don't know what you are speaking about, so don't. As a "proper copper" I can tell you first hand, they are far more than what you say. It is people like yourself who are the liability I'm afraid. Grow up.

Top Bottom