Rear-ended by a bus, my fault apparently!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rusky

CC Addict
WTF is it with drivers this week? The good weather has hatched a new breed of numptys.

I've just finished filling in a report online to the local plod about a car that passed me so close that I could touch the car!

His reaction was, I had hit his car, my answer was, that proves how close you were!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
What a bunch of a holes. If a vehicle drives into the back of your car it's the rear driver that is at fault. The same is true of bike vs bus.

D-Rider

rusky said:
WTF is it with drivers this week? The good weather has hatched a new breed of numptys.

I've just finished filling in a report online to the local plod about a car that passed me so close that I could touch the car!

His reaction was, I had hit his car, my answer was, that proves how close you were!

I've had exactly this as well. Bloke gets out of car and tells me not to f***ing touch his car. At least he shut up about it when I explained if I was able to touch his car he was too close.

Will1985

Über Member
You should have left your bike in front of the bus and called the proper police. Bus hits cyclist....collision? Call it assault with a deadly weapon fwiw.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
gaz said:
What a bunch of a holes. If a vehicle drives into the back of your car it's the rear driver that is at fault. The same is true of bike vs bus.

You'd think so...but folk always blame someone else.....grrrrrr

redjedi

Über Member
If a road user goes into the back of another road user it is always their fault. They should be leaving you enough space to do something un-expected and still stop in time, especially so if they have a bus full of passengers.

Don't feel guilty, and I would have got their details and taken it further, so if nothing else they learn from their actions.

I've always found the bus drivers in SW London to be very good so far, shame not this time.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
redjedi said:
If a road user goes into the back of another road user it is always their fault. They should be leaving you enough space to do something un-expected and still stop in time, especially so if they have a bus full of passengers.

Don't feel guilty, and I would have got their details and taken it further, so if nothing else they learn from their actions.

I've always found the bus drivers in SW London to be very good so far, shame not this time.

You should see the mess I've got with a car that drove into the back of my car in January...not sorted, despite my wife and another driver (following the third party) seeing the 'bint' applying make-up over the mile or two before.....:wacko:

Lying toss pots.............

rusky said:

Similar (after I palm-slapped a car that brushed past me, actually initiating physical contact)

Him "touch my car that's criminal damage"
Me "call the police then"
Him " I will"
Me "go on then"
Him "I will"
Me "go on then"
Him "I will"
Me "THEN **CALL THEM** OR SHUT UP. EITHER DO IT OR DON'T"
Him "I will"
Me "Are you going to or are you just going to talk about it? - would you like me to call them?"

etc etc

rusky

CC Addict
D-Rider said:
I've had exactly this as well. Bloke gets out of car and tells me not to f***ing touch his car. At least he shut up about it when I explained if I was able to touch his car he was too close.

Had the same yesterday! except the guy didn't get out as I was bigger than him!

jimboalee

Challenge their intelligence.

"If the stopping distance at 20 mph is 40ft, the stopping distance at 30 mph is 75ft, the stopping distance at 40 mph is 120ft and the stopping distance at 50mph is 175ft; can you give me the coefficients for the 3rd order polynomial equation and the resultant stopping distance for 10 mph?"

"Errrr,, what mate?"

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
jimboalee said:

"If the stopping distance at 20 mph is 40ft, the stopping distance at 30 mph is 75ft, the stopping distance at 40 mph is 120ft and the stopping distance at 50mph is 175ft; can you give me the coefficients for the 3rd order polynomial equation and the resultant stopping distance for 10 mph?"

"Errrr,, what mate?"
Errr. What :rofl:

NigC

jimboalee said:

"Errrr,, what mate?"

15ft

Oh sorry, I'm the cyclist not the driver :wacko:

I had an incident a few years ago in the car: Sitting in a traffic queue at some lights, foot on brake (it's an auto), not moving anywhere when the reverse lights suddenly come on of car in front :wacko: Slowly he starts creeping backwards :wacko::wacko::wacko: Many blasts of the horn later (3 or 4 seconds) he nudges my font bumper :ohmy:. He's very apologetic and says the car suddenly shifted into reverse without him realising :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko: Luckily there was no damage, but can just image what the police would have thought of me if it had been more serious and the other guy had not admitted anything :ohmy: The moral here: don't get too close to Jags when queueing at traffic lights.

Anyway, back to the matter in hand: I find it incredible that a bus driver would be so stupid as to claim it was the cyclists fault. Add to that another bus driver perfectly willing to stick for the first :ohmy: I'm really glad you're OK, but I'd feel happier knowing that drivers like that were not legally in control of massive red killing machines :bravo:

Top Bottom