Rear light for seat stay mounting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Three lbs visited at lunchtime today. Only one had a seat stay fitting lamp. And that lamp is a pos. This is why lbs's hereabouts are dying.

Lezyne Micro Drive will just fit beneath the Ortleib saddle bag, and a Lezyne Femto will fit, below it, under the seat post collar. Twill have to do.

This is the price you pay for riding old school style-ee with not a lot of seatpost showing.

vickster

Legendary Member
Does the saddle bag not have a loop for light mounting? Again, Smart lights fit well like this :smile:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Have a look at the Cateye range.

This one from Halfords, so you can inspect before you buy:-
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-lights/bike-lights/cateye-tl-ld610-rear-bike-light-black

Not sure if all of their brackets are the same, but I've had similar to this one, mounted on my seat stays.
For most bikes those Cateyes aren't too good on the seatstay.
The bracket isn't long enough, so the bottom end of the light hitting the seatstay prevents the light from being aimed straight backwards, leaving it angled upwards. They are also very directional, so whilst they look very bright to someone standing a few feet behind the bile (or a closely following rider), they are much dimmer than they ought to be when viewed from 50 or 100 m back down the road.

I'd go for one of the Moon Comets (or imitations thereof) mentioned above.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
In the end those nice Germans came up with the fix. Sigma Hiro rear from Rose bikes. Fits seat posts and seat stays, doesn't look like a warthog, doesn't attempt a pre-emptive strike in the rear lamp power wars, only oddity is it uses N size batteries. Can be mounted upside down on the top end of the seat tube making it visible under my Ortlieb saddlebag. Sorted.
97235_463651.jpg

Top Bottom