Rear Lights!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
Hi all,
So I have been looking at adding to the growing collection of lights on my bike, and would like to hear some opinions about what I have narrowed it down to.

Planet Bike Superflash Turbo: I've seen lots of YouTube videos on this, but am yet to find a UK seller. The build and specs are extremely similar, if not the same as, the Smart Lunar 1 Watt rear light. Is this just the UK name for the same product?

Blackburn Mars 3.0 or 4.0: Some people claim that the older 3.0 model is better, yet others disagree. Opinions?

Other? Looking at lights around £30 and below, and ones which will not require me to buy or use a separate dedicated battery pack.

Any advice towards which light is the best option would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Fibre flare? A cracking light that stands out due to it's individual shape.

There's lots out there, which all have good reviews and are reasonably priced, another that springs to mind is the Raleigh Astrum.

Edit Oh and I've got the Mars 4.0 and superflash both excellent lights but the latter can be prone to water ingress if you don't look after it right.

Zoiders

T K Maxx were selling unbranded Smart Superflash clones for £4.

I have tried one and build wise it's no different from the branded one, double up with two and the jobs a good un.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Smart Lunar R2, less than fifteen quid from Fudges, Cyclecube, Parker International , 13.99 delivered from Tredz
http://www.tredz.co....Light_39274.htm

I have one, it's just awesome, with a several modes including a mad "random" flash and an eyewatering pulse/throb mode.

Good to know. Have you tried the R2 in the wet yet? (I'm asking because I have an R1 and, although I'm impressed by the brightness, it's a bugger in the wet - refused to flash and if I turned it off it kept turning itself back on again - and, once wet, it took about 3 days to dry out.)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Planet Bike Superflash Turbo: I've seen lots of YouTube videos on this, but am yet to find a UK seller. The build and specs are extremely similar, if not the same as, the Smart Lunar 1 Watt rear light. Is this just the UK name for the same product?

The 1/2w is a bloody good light too, fwiw. And yes, the Smarts are the same light as far as I know.
Blackburn Mars 3.0 or 4.0: Some people claim that the older 3.0 model is better, yet others disagree. Opinions?
I've owned both - the 4.0 is brighter, but runtime is shorted. The 4.0 has a tool free battery change too (the 3.0 needed a pretty small screwdriver, iirc).
Other? Looking at lights around £30 and below, and ones which will not require me to buy or use a separate dedicated battery pack.

Get two.

Have one on flash, one on steady. Currently my flashing light is the Smart 1/2w (on a seatstay), my steady light is the Mars 4.0 on my Carradice.

If you want a spare bracket for the Mars, the Mars 1.0 bracket is compatible, and buying that light & bracket is only slightly more expensive than buying the spare bracket from the importer.

The Torch 9x light isn't bad either - integral reflector, good "chase" pattern on one of the flashing modes. Not as bright as the Mars or Superflash though.

Nebulous

Guru
I think we've been here before!

I'd like to give a shout for this-

revolution 180

even though I managed to lose the first one. I use it to commute and its been pretty good so far.

scouserinlondon

I have hit rear lighthing zen (until something else comes up)

I have a Smart R2 mounted sideways (cheers Pete) right under my saddle, and directly under that I have a smart R1.

I did have a blackburn mars 4 which lasted a couple of years but then gave up the ghost. TBH my problem with the blackburn was that it was very directional, if you're not right behind it I don't feel it's as visible.

BSRU

A Human Being
I have hit rear lighthing zen (until something else comes up)

I have a Smart R2 mounted sideways (cheers Pete) right under my saddle, and directly under that I have a smart R1.

I did have a blackburn mars 4 which lasted a couple of years but then gave up the ghost. TBH my problem with the blackburn was that it was very directional, if you're not right behind it I don't feel it's as visible.

To reach lighting Zen you need at least one Dinotte 400R :tongue:.

OP
OP
HovR

HovR

Über Member
So many replies! Thanks guys.

@gaz - I've looked at the Fiber Flair, and it seems like a good light. Great for having extra lighting down your seat stays, but I'm looking for more of a "main" light. I might get these in addition to, though! :tongue:

@HLaB - Thanks for the info about water ingress. Not really the best thing for a rear light! Starting to think the Mars 4.0 is the best option now.

@Zoiders and Cubist - Thanks for the info on the smarts, but the water ingress issue that has been mentioned is sort of putting me off these lights! Makes me wonder about the build quality of the rest of the product, and brackets.

@John The Monkey - Lots of information in your post. Thanks very much! Battery life isn't too much of a concern for me, as I will be using rechargeable's, and it's good to know that you don't need any tools to open the 4.0 - Currently leaning towards buying it.

@Nebulous - Yeah, I realize that this type of thread is one that comes up fairly often, but I couldn't find the answers to come of my questions with the search function.
thumbsup.png
Thanks for the light suggestion, I'll look into it!

-HovR

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
@Zoiders and Cubist - Thanks for the info on the smarts, but the water ingress issue that has been mentioned is sort of putting me off these lights! Makes me wonder about the build quality of the rest of the product, and brackets.

I've owned two Smart 1/2w lights, and used them in all weathers but ice and snow. (NB - mine were on a mudguarded bike, so they may have more protection than some of the posters bikes provided). One packed up when I was hit by a car (and it was run over a few times) and the replacement is still going, some 3 years or so later.

I've yet to have one leave the bike without the "assistance" of a motor vehicle.

Top Bottom