Rear mudguard...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
Replaced my rear mudguard with a Black Edition one at about 3 1/2 years old.

The old one had been cracked for ages, but where the wheel attaches finally cracked completely.

The new one has cracked already - after less than 6 months.

Am I being overly heavy-handed? Or is it just another Brompton 'feature'?

Anyone successfully managed to strengthen one?

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I'm still on original mudguards after more than four years use.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I've fitted custom mudguards and chain protector in powder coated aluminium to my Brommie.

IMG_20190717_154829.jpg

Tenkaykev

Guru
They're Schwalbe One Tan Wall. They have been out of stock for several months but have just become available on the Brompton website.

Tenkaykev

Guru
My other Brompton has Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres and the tan walls are a much smoother ride.
The Schwalbe Ones are advertised as being puncture resistant but a friend recently had his first puncture ( cycling on a stony trailway)

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Are you rolling the Brompton on the mudguard wheel?

Nope - never rolled it.

It gets folded twice a day and it's when the rear wheel flips underneath and the bike is resting on the mudguard.

It's basically cracking around the metal plate that holds the wheel. The last one cracked all the way around and when I removed the mudguard to replace it, the whole wheel and bracket fell off.

I'll try and get a picture later.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Nope - never rolled it.

It gets folded twice a day and it's when the rear wheel flips underneath and the bike is resting on the mudguard.

It's basically cracking around the metal plate that holds the wheel. The last one cracked all the way around and when I removed the mudguard to replace it, the whole wheel and bracket fell off.

I'll try and get a picture later.

Do you mean the bracket that the rear brake spindle goes through?

Tenkaykev

Guru
Kell, have you double checked that the stays are in the correct order both sides ( I had an issue with the rear mudguard on my Orange Brompton and I'd inadvertently got the middle and outer stays switched on one side of the frame.
With my CHPT3, the stays were a bit rattly in the inner seating. I wrapped black electrical insulation tape around the short part of the stay that sits inside the bracket and that fixed it ( plus I suppose the tape acted as a bit of a vibration damper as well)

Top Bottom