Rear spokes and wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi

I was out cycling this morning on my 6 week old Giant TCR carbon road bike. Halfway through the ride, one of my rear spokes came loose and the wheel felt as if it was misaligned (when I manually spun the wheel, it spun ok but then stopped when it came into contact with the brake pads. The bike is booked into the shop where I bought it for its 6 week service tomorrow. I've already taken it there today for tomorrow.

What could have caused this?

U

User6179

Badly built wheel, had to true mates rear wheels on two different Giant bikes that were brand new .

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I have a Fulcrum racing sport rear wheel where one Non-Drive Side rear spoke liked to just unscrew itself, which is a bit worrying when there's only 8 of them in total. I fixed that one using blue threadlock.

It does sound like the wheel hasn't been built very well, and could do with truing up properly, although another cause could have been if you've hit a big pothole and bashed it out of true.

durianrider

Too much power lol.

If the spokes are black then black spokes are typically weaker. If you are over 70kg and break another spoke I would get the wheel rebuilt with stainles silver heavy gauge spokes by an experienced wheelbuilder. Otherwise you going to keep breaking those cheap OEM spokes.

Ajax Bay

Guru
one of my rear spokes came loose . .
What could have caused this?
The spoke was undertensioned and loosened, early in it's rolling life. I'll guess that this was one of the left hand spokes. It may be that this in-house Giant rim was less than true and needed variable tensions to get it true when laced up, leaving this spoke looser. It's entirely likely that many of the 24 spokes are not tight enough - hopefully the bike shop will tighten them all up - not just the loose one. These spokes are Sapim Leader - plain gauge (14g) spokes.
This link is worth a read:
https://dcrwheels.co.uk/custom-wheelsets/choosing-spokes-advice/
If the spokes are black then black spokes are typically weaker. If you are over 70kg and break another spoke I would get the wheel rebuilt with stainles silver heavy gauge spokes by an experienced wheelbuilder. Otherwise you going to keep breaking those cheap OEM spokes.
:welcome:
Please could you say why you think black spokes are "typically weaker" (than ones of a different colour - 'silver', say)?
The OP has not broken a spoke.
Please could you say what you mean by "heavy gauge spokes"?

Top Bottom