Rear view mirror?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sazz8

Hi, I’m new to forum, have been cycling most of my life, recently purchased Giant Anthem mountain bike. I saw an advert for a small rear view mirror. Does anyone have, use or recommend anything?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The problem with most is that they stick out so when you drop the bike or go too close to something they get damaged.
I've got this which fits between down tube and head tube so is a bit out of the way.

Only problem is you have to swing your knee out to see. Might get a bit obscured by panniers too. I've found you can also fit in the bend if your drops which is no use to you on a MTB.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Use my five quid bar end one all the time.

As @Cycleops says, it gets knocked about, but has proved itself robust.

About the worst that happens is the plastic 'glass' pings out, but I've always managed to retrieve it.

presta

Guru
I've always thought the ones that clip on your spex are a good idea, but it wasn't until last summer that I finally got round to buying one. A few minutes up the road was enough to disabuse me of any idea that they're an aid to road safety.

The problem is that when you're hunched over the bike, the mirror is below shoulder level and not far enough to the right, so your view is blocked by your shoulder and ear. Attempts at tilting my head left me wobbling and swerving all over the road. It also creates a huge blind spot obscuring your view of traffic approaching from the right at a give way line.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have one that fits into the end of the bars bit sticks out too much so I threw it in a drawer. I have another one that looks a bit like a watch and goes onto your wrist. It opens like a woman's compact and can swivel around. Much better

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.

derrick

I'd rather not see the SUV driven by a drunk, texting driver that's heading straight towards me.
It makes no difference if you see them or not if they get you your a gonna, I use mine more for riding in groups so i don't drop anyone. They also help when over taking as i have athtritis in my shoulder so i have a problem turning my head,

derrick

The problem with most is that they stick out so when you drop the bike or go too close to something they get damaged.
I've got this which fits between down tube and head tube so is a bit out of the way.
View attachment 499971

Only problem is you have to swing your knee out to see. Might get a bit obscured by panniers too. I've found you can also fit in the bend if your drops which is no use to you on a MTB.
So a complete waste of time then.:laugh:

Top Bottom