Rear view mirror?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I was about to post the same - if you credit drivers with that much intelligence or power of observation you must be one of the world's greatest optimists.

Mike_P

Guru
As I said it the shiny reflective element that is more likely to get their attention - wondering what was causing it, realising it's a cyclist and possibly reacting quicker so resulting in a wider pass than might otherwise have been the case.

Crankarm

Guru
If you believe the majority of drivers notice a mirror on a bike as they approach then I'd say you have a more optimistic outlook on driver's attention levels than most. I'm not sure I'd credit any driver with the ability to see a detail like that. Many struggle to notice the cyclist.
I was about to post the same - if you credit drivers with that much intelligence or power of observation you must be one of the world's greatest optimists.

Judging from these comments you are referring to my post. I would suggest you read my reply again as you have failed to read and comprehend what I have written. Fail. I repeat it again for you here. It is mirrors that I have on my bike that show me what if any traffic is approaching from behind. Having seen the approaching vehicle(s) I then look at said vehicle(s) as it/they approach which 99% of the time results in the driver either waiting to pass me or give me much more space. Your assumptions that a driver can see a small mirror are your assumptions and yours alone. If have not stated this. I am dependent on mirrors on my bicycle as I have a significant hearing impairment which means I only know vehicles are approaching me when I can see them hence the need for mirrors. If they are very close I can hear them, but I cannot tell from where they're coming from unless I see them. Does this explain the situation for you? I suggest you read people's comments properly before writing your responses or try riding a bicycle on the roads with substantially impaired hearing.

Last edited:

Crankarm

Guru
No, I am practically deaf and telling you how I get by riding a bicycle so cars don't run into me. Why don't you read my post properly?

Mike_P

Guru
Strikes me this thread is falling quickly to mirror users v those who think its pointless a bit like those who wear bright colours v those who think everything black is fine

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Strikes me this thread is falling quickly to mirror users v those who think its pointless a bit like those who wear bright colours v those who think everything black is fine

Not at all, I can see why people like mirrors, and how it can give some riders better situational awareness and confidence. So they're useful.

What I'm not buying is this concept that car drivers are more considerate around cyclists who use mirrors. Good road position at a hazard can make drivers more aware of you, looking in a mirror cannot.

I've always thought the ones that clip on your spex are a good idea, but it wasn't until last summer that I finally got round to buying one. A few minutes up the road was enough to disabuse me of any idea that they're an aid to road safety.

The problem is that when you're hunched over the bike, the mirror is below shoulder level and not far enough to the right, so your view is blocked by your shoulder and ear. Attempts at tilting my head left me wobbling and swerving all over the road. It also creates a huge blind spot obscuring your view of traffic approaching from the right at a give way line.

Side of fitment is to do with your strongest/weakest eye, hold a finger up and sight a distant object with both eyes, close one eye then the other, whichever eye makes your finger jump is the eye to close and then the mirror goes on the opposite arm.
The mirror is on mounted my right side and I close my left eye to look in the mirror. When touring abroad where johny forriner drive on the incorrect side it still stays on the same side. Mirrors on glasses can look everywhere behind you by moving your head only slightly, unlike bike mounted that can only see behind where the bike is pointed.

presta

Guru
Side of fitment is to do with your strongest/weakest eye, hold a finger up and sight a distant object with both eyes, close one eye then the other, whichever eye makes your finger jump is the eye to close and then the mirror goes on the opposite arm.
The mirror is on mounted my right side and I close my left eye to look in the mirror. When touring abroad where johny forriner drive on the incorrect side it still stays on the same side. Mirrors on glasses can look everywhere behind you by moving your head only slightly, unlike bike mounted that can only see behind where the bike is pointed.
The issue isn't a small movement to point the mirror in the direction I want to see, it's the large movement needed to raise the mirror above shoulder height.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The issue isn't a small movement to point the mirror in the direction I want to see, it's the large movement needed to raise the mirror above shoulder height.
I had that problem too.
It was just about usable on the tops with a close-fitting jersey, but a loose top or moving forwards onto the lever hoods put the shoulder in the way.

The basic thing is that there's no one mirror that's suitable for everybody. As well as handlebar shape, there's riding position, luggage, and clothing that can all affect what works. You've probably got to give a mirror a decent test period too, to get used to the looking movements.

presta

Guru
I had that problem too.
It was just about usable on the tops with a close-fitting jersey
Even riding on the tops, I get a view of sky at the top, shoulder at the bottom, earhole on the left, and houses on the far side of the street on the right. No sign of the road anywhere. Attempts at finding a view of the traffic behind had me wobbling from kerb to white line.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I have used a helmet mounted mirror, a Cat-eye and, now, a Zefal (Ebay). Prefer the Zefal. I also ride a Motorcycle. A desire to remain alive means, I NEVER, rely 100% on mirror(s), always do a look over the shoulder check!

The mirror is mounted so it's high enough above shoulder height to just look into, works on tops or hoods, and it can't be more than a reverse nod (IYSWIM) to look over a shoulder when on the drops, way less of a movement than glancing between the knees, or over the shoulder.

Top Bottom