Rear view mirror?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Always put a mirror on a bike, double pivoted catseye on the end of the hybrids handle bar which allows it to be dropped down when not needed and a Zefal Spin on the road bike which is normally tucked under the right drops. Tend to pull them up and use them when approaching a right turn on a busy road playing spy a approaching gap in the passing traffic

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Just had the chance to grab a pic. I use this one. Suits me fine, and doesn't stick out too far sideways, unless I choose it to.

It's the Zifal, if I remember correctly .. 👍🏼

DSK

I have both the Cateye and Zefal.

Cateye - its made if plastic and glass with a convex lens. Fits spot on and does what a mirror needs to do. Whilst I have no issues with visibility, if you have baggy clothing, or ride with your legs sticking out wildly, it can obscure the view. It also came with all you need to install which is always a bonus. They do not look uncool and seem to have a reasonably sleek profile.

48733544427_f4e38e3448_z.jpg

48733544452_e6fd6e8c22_z.jpg

Zefal - this is all plastic and the mirror is NOT glass. I have no idea what it is. However, it still works perfectly. I like it as the flip out provides ensure the view is never obscured, they twist/rotate in every direction so you can position just so and they tuck out of the way when not required. Also noticeably lighter than the Cateye. Also the Zefal comes with everything needed to install.

49322482806_9aef4a7bb5_z.jpg

49321987718_e26bef5816_z.jpg

Whilst they are both good, if I need to buy more, I think for the versatility and and overall function, I'd buy the Zefal.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'd rather not see the SUV driven by a drunk, texting driver that's heading straight towards me.

Handy on a group ride.

I used mine to keep an eye on you those few years ago.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I don't rely totally on mirrors, but they're a help, I find. An over the shoulder check is good, too.

Crankarm

Guru
It should be mandatory to have a mirror on a bicycle like a bell. Other vehicles have to have them so I don't see why they are not compulsory on a bicycle. I am hearing impaired and rely on my mirrors to see what is happening behind. They show me when vehicles are approaching from behind and to give a rear view look which 99% of the time makes drivers either wait before passing or to pass wider giving me much more space making riding on roads safer.

Mike_P

Guru
Wow! How does the mirror improve drivers' behaviour?
IME as it sticks out and is shiny/reflecting most drivers do give a touch more space, then again there is the odd one who ignores the sticky out element resulting in a closer pass. As I commented earlier I usually only use mine in certain instances. Another advantage I have noticed when it is appropriately positioned for use is approaching a narrow section of carriageway, you can adjust your speed so that you do not arrive at it at the some time as that approaching from the rear vehicle, especially useful when it's a BMW. For the added safety factor making them mandatory would in IMO be sensible.

Top Bottom