Rear wheel rim splitting...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rafiki

Retired Brit living in Spain
Out on my Dawes Mean Street, a 16 year-old hybrid, this morning I felt a binding when using the rear brake. On closer inspection I found that the rim has begun to split. It's a Mavic T237D 622x17. I guess there is no use trying to get a repair done? I am not really into the technicalities of wheels so could someone please suggest a replacement complete wheel?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Splitting after just 16 years? Disgraceful! Go & ask for your money back.  :whistle:

zoxed

Über Member
... I found that the rim has begun to split. It's a Mavic T237D 622x17. I guess there is no use trying to get a repair done?...

Rim wear/split is a known and potentially dangerous problem: the worst case is that the rim splits, the tyre pops off and the innertube explodes whilst going downhill :-( You where wise to check the binding immediately !!

(A lot of/most? modern rims have a groove in the rim: when the rim wears down to the depth of that groove it is time to replace the rim, before it splits !)

If the rest of the wheel is Ok, then it should be a quick job for a bike shop to replace the rim.

MartinC

Über Member
Out on my Dawes Mean Street, a 16 year-old hybrid, this morning I felt a binding when using the rear brake. On closer inspection I found that the rim has begun to split. It's a Mavic T237D 622x17. I guess there is no use trying to get a repair done? I am not really into the technicalities of wheels so could someone please suggest a replacement complete wheel?

This is beyond repair. 17mm internal rims are harder to find now as the manufacturers have "rationalised" their products into narrow (13mm) and wide (19mm) road rims. Previously you could easily get 17mm and 15mm ones. Google for Exal LX17.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I think MartinC means the rim is beyond repair.
Check with your local bike shop - it may well be that a new wheel is cheaper than getting a new rim built onto the hub you have, which is presumably 16 years old too!!

battered

Guru
You need to put some more time in, my 15 yr old bike is now on its 3rd rear wheel!:tongue:

As others have said, the rim is clearly dead. It's not generally worthwhile getting a 16 yr old hub rebuilt, and a decent qual rear wheel is likely to be around £50-60. Chinese cheapies are less but I've had one and it was a pain, the bearings wore out and I struggled to get replacements.

Hang on to the old hub at least, you can cannibalise it for the freewheel hub and the bearings as necessary, and it takes up little space in the bits box.

I got a wheel for nowt from a friend, it needed new bearings...and the relevant replacement cone came out of the *original* wheel that I wore out over 10 years ago. I like being able to do stuff like that.:thumbsup: You may do equally well on here or elsewhere, if you are into the oily side of bike life.

OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

You need to put some more time in, my 15 yr old bike is now on its 3rd rear wheel!:tongue:

As others have said, the rim is clearly dead. It's not generally worthwhile getting a 16 yr old hub rebuilt, and a decent qual rear wheel is likely to be around £50-60. Chinese cheapies are less but I've had one and it was a pain, the bearings wore out and I struggled to get replacements.

Hang on to the old hub at least, you can cannibalise it for the freewheel hub and the bearings as necessary, and it takes up little space in the bits box.

I got a wheel for nowt from a friend, it needed new bearings...and the relevant replacement cone came out of the *original* wheel that I wore out over 10 years ago. I like being able to do stuff like that.:thumbsup: You may do equally well on here or elsewhere, if you are into the oily side of bike life.

OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

Thanks for all the info everybody. I'm not really into the oily side of cycling so I'd be looking for a good quality ready-built wheel.

Crankarm

Guru
Thanks for all the info everybody. I'm not really into the oily side of cycling so I'd be looking for a good quality ready-built wheel.

Try to go for a hand built wheel if you can. HB wheels, providing they are built properly, are always a lot stronger than factory built wheels. You should be able to get one for £80 on a reasonable hub such as Deore MTB (135mm drop out spacing) or Tiagra Road (130mm drop out spacing).

MartinC

Über Member
How does this make it beyond repair ? Surely a new rim does not have to be exactly the same as the old one, as long as the width is OK for the tyre ?

Sorry :rolleyes: , I meant:

This is beyond repair and needs to be replaced.

You may want to keep both front and rear rims the same width. Unfortunately 17mm internal rims are harder to find now as the manufacturers have "rationalised" their products into narrow (13mm) and wide (19mm) road rims. Previously you could easily get 17mm and 15mm ones. Google for Exal LX17.

Top Bottom