Reasons not to wear helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seems those who wear them must justify them unequivocally and those who don’t simply don’t without reason

Up to now those that don't have justified it with ample independently verifiable reasons. Those who do have so far only managed to assert their beliefs as justification.

david k

Hi
Up to now those that don't have justified it with ample independently verifiable reasons. Those who do have so far only managed to assert their beliefs as justification.

i wouldnt agree, you have put forward evidence but many not just me believe it is flawed. Many examples to the contary have been put forward but you dont consider this sufficient. However i do, your issue seems to be that i dont consider your evidence valaubale or sufficient enough to make me remove my helmet, or if you dont care if i wear a helmet or not why do you challenge my reasons continually?

And back to the question that hasnt been answered yet, do i have to justify why i wear a helmet?

Dan B

Disengaged member
This isn't a loaded question, I don't know - legally are you allowed to cycle on the pavement?
It is illegal, generally, to cycle on the footway by the side of a road. Exceptions exist where the pavement has a designated cycle path or shared-use path, and pavements which are not beside a road (e.g. pedestrianised areas) may or may not be legal to cycle on.

I agree that obscures the comparison somewhat, but I think the point I'm trying to make is that I don't cycle on the pavement (or at least, do so very rarely) largely without reference to whether it's legal or not at any particular place or time

so i dont have to justify why i wear one?

Not at all, you simply need to justify imposing your wish to do so on others

That is what you have failed to take on board.

No-one has ever challenged your right to wear one, just your continued attempts to justify forcing that decision on others

Davidc

Guru
And back to the question that hasnt been answered yet, do i have to justify why i wear a helmet?

Reading through the thread I can't find anywhere you've been asked to. Why it's of benefit yes, but not to justify the wearing.

My view - Since there's nothing I'd consider evidence either way I can't see why anyone should be asked to justify wearing or not wearing a helmet.

The OP was called reasons not to wear helmets. Does "because they're hot, sweaty and uncomfortable" count? I keep taking mine off during summer before I pass out and fall off in front of a lorry from the heat.

david k

Hi
just your continued attempts to justify forcing that decision on others

So I or anyone else dont have to jusify my decision to wear a helmet, thats that sorted then, no need for you to bring it up again then.

So back to your post, I have never ever stated that i am 'forcing' people to wear them and you know this.

I have answered that more times than i care to remember yet you bring it up at the end of nearly every post, why is this i wonder, i can only imagine its because its the only argument you have left so must keep repeating it.

You are refusing to accept this, there is another thread on compulsion, you can discuss that there if you wish, all my thoughts are there so no need to put words into my mouth continually to help your own posts

david k

Hi
Reading through the thread I can't find anywhere you've been asked to. Why it's of benefit yes, but not to justify the wearing.
My view - Since there's nothing I'd consider evidence either way I can't see why anyone should be asked to justify wearing or not wearing a helmet.
The OP was called reasons not to wear helmets. Does "because they're hot, sweaty and uncomfortable" count? I keep taking mine off during summer before I pass out and fall off in front of a lorry from the heat.

Hi Dave, i and others have ben challenged repeatably why we want to wear one(numerous threads), accused of not consdering the data and evidnce put to us, i was just trying to work out why, if it isnt to justify why i wear a helmet i dont know what it is?

OP
OP
tigger

tigger

Über Member
Hot and sweaty on the list :thumbsup:

OP
OP
tigger

tigger

Über Member
So just to update the list so far:

Don’t need a reason

Look and feel like tits

Like the feel of the wind

Improved hearing and judgement

Don’t like chin straps

Too hot and sweaty

No benefit from crashes when wearing helmets

Risk is reduced by fitness, training, sensible riding and bike maintainance.

Anymore for anymore???

Davidc

Guru
Hi Dave, i and others have ben challenged repeatably why we want to wear one(numerous threads), accused of not consdering the data and evidnce put to us, i was just trying to work out why, if it isnt to justify why i wear a helmet i dont know what it is?

I get bemused at a lot of the arguments, but what you say is largely true. I can't resist the threads though, and often post sarky responses.

What I think is that as there is no real evidence either way no-one should be asked to justify their choice of to wear or not to wear. (When the evidence (from research properly set up and conducted of course) is available that may change. I suspect that unless the helmet construction and materials change any result wll be inconclusive, but I have no evidence to back that suspicion).

I've posted what I do before, but briefly I wear one most of the time. It protects my ears from the requests from SWMBO to wear it. If I get hot I take the helmet off, as in those circumstances it increases the risk of having an accident from minute progressively up to high.

Discussion of it is not part of this thread, but I am very strongly anti compulsion. As tigger has correctly identified that is a different matter. This thread is about exercising choice, which implies no compulsion.

david k

Hi
Not at all, you simply need to justify imposing your wish to do so on others

That is what you have failed to take on board.

No-one has ever challenged your right to wear one, just your continued attempts to justify forcing that decision on others

So you dont want me to justify why i wear a helmet

we have established that i am not forcing anyone to wear one

so you have absolutely no issue with me, correct?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Seems those who wear them must justify them unequivocally and those who don’t simply don’t without reason
Feck me, it's like banging your (bare) head against a brick wall.

Read any of the umpteen helmets that have gone before this one and you will find the reasons non-wearers decide not to bother re-stated again and again.

Why don't you just come clean and admit you would like to see them made compulsory. That can be the only reason for thread after thread repeating the same old arguments over again that there is no need for BECAUSE NO-ONE WANTS TO STOP YOU WEARING A HELMET, NO-ONE WANTS THEM BANNED AND NO-ONE WILL TRY AND PULL YOURS OFF YOUR HEAD WHEN THEY SEE YOU WEARING ONE.

Wear what you like on your head but respect that what others do is none of your business because it does not effect you - unless of course you are embarrassed by wearing a helmet and you would feel better if everyone had to have one?

david k

Hi
just read again so edit to reflect

i do respecft others opinions not to wear, i dont mind as ive stated before, it is me who has been asked why i wear one, so i answer and that makes people angry, can you tell me why?
so if nobody is bothered why keep asking me?
if we are to respect each others opinions why are mine not respected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom