Reasons not to wear helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I always wear a helmet in England, but never take one to Holland. It is so much more pleasant not wearing a helmet. The wind in your hair and no sweaty brow make riding a lot more fun.

OP
OP
tigger

tigger

Über Member
i wear one because it looks good i look good in it..............got to have balence we are after all cyclists :tongue:

Ha ha... yeah I feel that way too now. When I started, I wouldn't buy a helmet... or shorts etc for that matter... because I thought cyclists looked like dicks !

OP
OP
tigger

tigger

Über Member
So just to update the list so far:

Don’t need a reason

Look and feel like tits

Like the feel of the wind

Improved hearing and judgement

Don’t like chin straps

Too hot

No benefit from crashes when wearing helmets

Risk is reduced by fitness, training, sensible riding and bike maintainance.

Anymore for anymore???

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
  • I feel like a tit
  • I look like a tit
  • But i still wear one.

Tyke

I started wearing mine following a slight fall walking on snow when i hit my head on the road and realized how much the medication for my heart made me bleed. This is not to say pedestrians should wear helmets but that I am happier thinking that in a minor off it may or may not cut dawn on the cuts and hopefully the blood loss.

Each to his/her own on helmet wearing but from now on my choice is to wear one, but it is my choice and I am against compulsion.

Reducing one's risk through training,maintaining one's bike and riding in a sensible manner are obviously unacceptable reasons not to wear a helmet, and this is uncomfortable for you then of course that is your decision to exclude

However the fact that this censorship is felt necessary as it does not fit the OP's agenda makes the point better than I ever could.

If all you want is sycophantic replies than I will of course respect your wish and recognise that the basic tenets of good cycling technique are unacceptable.

OP
OP
tigger

tigger

Über Member
Reducing one's risk through training,maintaining one's bike and riding in a sensible manner are obviously unacceptable reasons not to wear a helmet, and this is uncomfortable for you then of course that is your decision to exclude

However the fact that this censorship is felt necessary as it does not fit the OP's agenda makes the point better than I ever could.

If all you want is sycophantic replies than I will of course respect your wish and recognise that the basic tenets of good cycling technique are unacceptable.

Ah this time it makes more sense as you're not forcing the lack of choice / compulsion arguments - which I tried to point out at the beginning are not at all relevant to the question. Its a shame I felt sensorship was necessary but your response was a perfect case in point as to why it is if we are going to tackle helmet debates sensibly.

The question is simply "why do you prefer not to wear helmets?". So in your case you're now saying you don't feel the need as you ride sensibly, you're fit and you keep your bike well maintained so you've reduced the risks. You've addressed the question so I can add it to the list now.

Much appreciated

Ah this time it makes more sense as you're not forcing the lack of choice / compulsion arguments - which I tried to point out at the beginning are not at all relevant to the question. Its a shame I felt sensorship was necessary but your response was a perfect case in point as to why it is if we are going to tackle helmet debates sensibly.

The question is simply "why do you prefer not to wear helmets?". So in your case you're now saying you don't feel the need as you ride sensibly, you're fit and you keep your bike well maintained so you've reduced the risks. You've addressed the question so I can add it to the list now.

Much appreciated

Please do not re-interpret my reply

My original posts stands and was censored.

Your interpretation is NOT what I stated and is hence inaccurate.

OP
OP
tigger

tigger

Über Member
Please do not re-interpret my reply

My original posts stands and was censored.

Your interpretation is NOT what I stated and is hence inaccurate.

See this is the probelm with forums...

Yes, your original post stands, its there for all to read and was not censored at all. My reply merely tried to demonstrate to you (in a jovial manner) that you had gone off topic and therefore your response had no value to this particular thread. You have since the tempered your response and it is valid. Personally I think it is an insightfu response...

Thanks Cunobelin, just edited your post to leave the bits relevant to this thread. ;)

Its a shame I felt sensorship was necessary but your response was a perfect case in point as to why it is if we are going to tackle helmet debates sensibly.

See this is the probelm with forums...

Yes, your original post stands, its there for all to read and was not censored at all. My reply merely tried to demonstrate to you (in a jovial manner) that you had gone off topic and therefore your response had no value to this particular thread. You have since the tempered your response and it is valid. Personally I think it is an insightful response...

It is neither insightful or correct, your interpretation does not represent my opinions........ it is an interpretation that you have made to suit your agenda.

Your decision was to stifle debate, and restrict the topic to an area you feel comfortable.

You are now making assumptions about my opinions with no knowledge of wha they are. - please stop doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom