Rechargeable clip on rear light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darren Gregory

Rides a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Trek Emonda SL6
I own two Zecto lights both rear, one is on full brightness the other flashing. I bought them sometime early 2015 and they have been used pretty much daily since, September 2015 when I started my daily commute. I also use them in daylight, might seem overkill for some but I prefer to be safe than sorry.

I have had the vary occasional problem in charging them some cables seem to misbehave sometimes you just need to give them a wiggle. But to be clear, I have never been unable to charge them.

I would certainly buy them again. In fact I have just bought a Zecto front light to go on my new bike as my "be seen" light.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Moon Nebula!! Bright as fook, I've run mine for 15hrs solid, recharges via micro USB, small, great design. Better than anything I've used so far (I'm an old bastard now!!!)
The aluminium rear light that went on sale in Aldi today at £13.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/aluminium-red-rear-bike-lights/p/072177062208400

It's the same as a Moon Nebula: USB rechargeable, 100 lumens, very wide angle, comes with a belt clip, saddle rail mount, a rubber chainstay/seatpost strap, and a USB lead.
It say 3Wh for the battery, which probably means 3h on full power (not that full power is necessary, most of the time).

Front version (240 lumen) also available.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The aluminium rear light that went on sale in Aldi today at £13.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/aluminium-red-rear-bike-lights/p/072177062208400

It's the same as a Moon Nebula: USB rechargeable, 100 lumens, very wide angle, comes with a belt clip, saddle rail mount, a rubber chainstay/seatpost strap, and a USB lead.
It say 3Wh for the battery, which probably means 3h on full power (not that full power is necessary, most of the time).

Front version (240 lumen) also available.

I just bought the Aldi rear light this morning and I'm impressed with the quality, brightness, display modes and mounting options. When I get home tonight I'll leave it on full power to see how long it lasts and report back.

GC

Smart R2. Great light lights. The plastic retaining on the sides can be a bit brittle in sub zero temperatures.

Interesting review of rear lights here.
Yes, and note that the author favours lights powered by AA or AAA batteries, as do I for very similar reasons. And these can of course be rechargeable. Have never understood the contemporary interest bordering on obsession with USB lights with fixed batteries. Perfectly understandable from a marketing perspective of course.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Yes, and note that the author favours lights powered by AA or AAA batteries, as do I for very similar reasons. And these can of course be rechargeable. Have never understood the contemporary interest bordering on obsession with USB lights with fixed batteries. Perfectly understandable from a marketing perspective of course.
Advantages / disadvantages in both . USB is great as can recharge batteries at work on laptop. Ran AAA rear lights for long enough and nowt wrong with them , just the issue of buying and also disposing of batteries .

Advantages / disadvantages in both . USB is great as can recharge batteries at work on laptop. Ran AAA rear lights for long enough and nowt wrong with them , just the issue of buying and also disposing of batteries .
well you no more have to dispose of the batteries in a light using AAA rechargeables than you do in a USB powered light - though with the latter you may of course have to chuck the light with the batteries.

glasgowcyclist

I used the light this morning and left it switched on at my desk to see how long it lasted... then missed noticing when it went out, DOH!

I can say that it was still on after 1h20m at its brightest setting and when I looked at it at the 2hr mark it was already off. It's been on charge now for 2 hours and still not complete. I'll test again and promise to pay attention next time.

GC

P.S. The three brightness levels aren't the usual low - med - high, they're bright - very bright - super bright!

EDITED to add: Charge cycle completed after 2h10m

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
well you no more have to dispose of the batteries in a light using AAA rechargeables than you do in a USB powered light - though with the latter you may of course have to chuck the light with the batteries.
Very true, still a faff with both, as I say advantages/ disadvantages .

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I used the light this morning and left it switched on at my desk to see how long it lasted... then missed noticing when it went out, DOH!

I can say that it was still on after 1h20m at its brightest setting and when I looked at it at the 2hr mark it was already off. It's been on charge now for 2 hours and still not complete. I'll test again and promise to pay attention next time.

GC

P.S. The three brightness levels aren't the usual low - med - high, they're bright - very bright - super bright!
Bought two yesterday and ran them this morning, quite impressed and to be honest even paying the £40 for the moon ones, I would say they are worth it, only thing is the broke one of the clips yesterday so be carefull. Noted you can buy Moon replacements assume they will fit these . Mate at work also bought the front and its very bright on max, I`ve not bothered as I have two decent front lights already.

dim

I just bought the Aldi rear light this morning and I'm impressed with the quality, brightness, display modes and mounting options. When I get home tonight I'll leave it on full power to see how long it lasts and report back.

GC

will it fit on an aero seatpost? (I need another light for my S-Works and my Cycolite hotshot bracket does not fit)

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Hmm might do but the proper Moon replacement bracket looks a better fit for an aero seatpost ?! Just to note the lights also comes with a bracket to fit on your seat rails , might be an option for you ?

glasgowcyclist

will it fit on an aero seatpost? (I need another light for my S-Works and my Cycolite hotshot bracket does not fit)

I don't know, sorry.

I'm using the saddle rail mount but when I get home I'll take a shot of the seatpost mount (it's a rubber ladder and hook job) and you can judge for yourself.

GC

Is the aldi rear light appropriate for unlit roads? Trying to make sense of the 2 threads on seemingly the same issue!

Top Bottom